Rikon 70-220VSR
Would this be an acceptable lathe? I want something smaller but something bigger than the 1015 I had in the past. I like the idea of VS as well.

What this will be used for: Mostly small things like chisel and file type handles. 6-8" diameter bowls. I would like to eventually be able to do longer spindles as well and I see there is a bed extension for it. Nothing I do should tax the power of the motor.

I like the price of this one going on at Woodcraft right now.

Another thing. Can it be shipped to my residence or would this come freight? Freight is no big deal since I work at an accommodating place. Amazon says it weighs 124 lbs.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
For larger bowls, I'd say the motor is a bit on the small side, but all that means is you will need to take smaller bites. Rikon has a good reputation for quality. You will be charged freight. You can call and ask what it'll cost. If it's too costly for freight, you may consider making the drive to the Jacksonville Woodcraft and pick it up there. Especially if you need any other tools. It's a 1" x8 tpi spindle, so whatever chucks you may have used on your 1015 should work fine. If you have any intentions or inklings of using the full 12-1/2" swing, you should really look at something with a larger motor.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I haven't looked at mini/midis in years. Good lord I can't believe the price increases on them across all the brands.

Now to your question. I haven't seen anything negative on the small rikons and heard nothing but positive about their customer service. At first glance I like the idea of the controls on the right. But, after thinking about it and the way I turn, for me that would be real hard to get used to. I'm not saying the location is a bad thing, just I'm not sure I'd like it.
The Rikon 70-050vs lathe was my most regrettable power tool purchase. Got it just for small stuff, but the build quality was pee-poor. Harbor Freight level. The price was less than half of the current one, so maybe they got their act together, but I lost a lot of respect for the company that would put their name on that thing.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Ok I have the 70-100 and it works good not OK and not excellent.

Right now woodcraft is selling yours for $552.49 but my concern is the top speed is only 2900rpm and most go 3600 to 4000 so it is really slow for small stuff. The sale is only good until feb 14

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/861205/...V2-1hoCicrw_wcB

To me and I had the smaller 10" one but the Penn State is really nice and I loved using it. The only reason I gave it to my wife's cousin is because I wanted to turn larger things then 10" with only 1/2hp

The 12" one comes with 1hp and with everything the Rikon does and it goes from 150 to 4000rpm and the price is cheaper.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

and if you want a bed extension with it for a total of 40" it is still cheaper then the Rikon

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12WB.html

and this is the way I would have gone if it was available 7 years ago but it was not.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

Right now woodcraft is selling yours for $552.49 but my concern is the top speed is only 2900rpm and most go 3600 to 4000 so it is really slow for small stuff. The sale is only good until feb 14

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/861205/...V2-1hoCicrw_wcB

Top speed is 3850 RPM according to the link. That's plenty good for most work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Interesting thoughts. The sale at Woodcraft is what prompted this post. I have been eyeballing the Rikons but am not committed to anything. If a big one shows up locally for a good price I would consider that even.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".