Good small benchtop drill press?
I'm looking for a small benchtop drill press, maybe vintage. What should I look for?
Vintage. Walker Turner, Rockwell or Buffalo. All American machines. Take standard or fairly available parts. Can't beat 'em.
Did they make small ones that are fairly compact? My space is quite limited. What should I look for?
Don't be afraid of 50's vintage craftsmans, they were very good, I've got one used for a dedicated sander only because I have a floor model so its an extra, but its a good solid machine. They look like this one:

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
How much bench you want to give up? How much throat capacity do you need? Whats your budget? Do you need a round column?

Keep small milldrills in mind. Sieg and their clones for example.

Here is a small griz one.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Admiral said:

Don't be afraid of 50's vintage craftsmans, they were very good, I've got one used for a dedicated sander only because I have a floor model so its an extra, but its a good solid machine. They look like this one:

Beat me to it. If I ever get another bench top drill press it will be one of those.

Like I need another drill press. I already have three........ gee do I have a . . problem...?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
MarkSingleton said:

Like I need another drill press. I already have three........ gee do I have a . . problem...?

I have three too, a full size floor Jet, the Craftsman, and a HF I got for $10 at a garage sale from some guy's ex wife who was selling off all his tools. She and all her girlfriends were there drinking wine celebrating her divorce!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a jet JDP12 and have had good luck with it.
ASE Master Auto and Medium/Heavy Truck Technician, Service writer and parts consultant.
Master Emergency Vehicle Technician-Police Vehicles

Ive got a nice 40s Atlas. For a benchtop, go vintage every time. The way they do things nowadays, the smaller it is the crappier it is in general. Not so back in the day. They made all products to the same high standard.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Axehandle said:

Ive got a nice 40s Atlas. For a benchtop, go vintage every time. The way they do things nowadays, the smaller it is the crappier it is in general. Not so back in the day. They made all products to the same high standard.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me