Turkey Call Finish
Asking down here cause I am trying to get a good finish on turned items.

I am making a run of turkey calls and currently at the finishing stages of the first one. This particular one is Brazilian Walnut and I sealed the wood with Minwax antique oil. I had a rattle can of gloss lacquer and put on a few coats, sanded it on the lathe, then put on a few more coats. Really needs to be rubbed out, or sanded down and started over.

I have read somewhere else that Lacquer is not a good finish in the field as bug juice will eat right through it.

I have a can of General Finishes Clear Poly (waterbased) from a table project. Worked great spraying and using a foam brush on that table. This stuff is very durable and I am considering trying on the turkey call..

How would you apply it? Off the lathe, or on the lathe spinning?

What would you rub it out with?

What other finishes should I consider?

Looking for something easy, but durable, able to stand up to sweat, grime, and bug spray.
I use wipe on poly on duck calls. Do it off the lathe, let it dry and apply a few more coats. Then go through all the grits of micromesh. Add a couple more coats of poly and beal buff.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Since you already have the General Finish on hand, I'd use that. Its durable. As an alternative, you might consider Shellawax but a jar is $30. See the discussion in the Hand tools forum. Provides a beautiful right on the lathe.
Shellawax is fine but the finish won't last. Has a nice shine when buffed but dulls with use.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member