Band Saw Motor Problem
My little Craftsman bandsaw is having problems.

Sometimes the motor runs okay, but sometimes I flip the switch and get a humming sound but no movement. If I (carefully!) tug on the blade a bit, sometimes it will start running. The blade also bogs down sometimes in the middle of what should be easy cuts, like ripping 2X pine, even though the blade is plenty sharp.

So I suppose something in the motor is wearing out. What am I looking at here? What will it take to fix it?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Sounds like start and run caps need replaced. Id make sure the insides of the motor were clean as well.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

Sounds like start and run caps need replaced. Id make sure the insides of the motor were clean as well.

Yep, what Mike said. Sounds like a start up cap to me to. I had the same thing happen on one of my bandsaws once it was a 2 hp motor but the symptoms sound the same.
While you're checking the caps, make sure there isn't sawdust packed in the switch.
Had a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw with similar problem. There was a centrifugal switch on the motor, acted like a brake. Used to get full of dust and fail to make contact. Or, the above mentioned Start/ Run cap issues.
Since what you are describing is an intermittent issue, it sounds to me like a dirty or sticking centrifugal switch. This switch will switch the start capacitor in and out of the circuit. You can try to blow the switch out with air. It might help if it is not a TEFC motor. If it is a TEFC, this will require you to unplug the saw, remove the rear motor end bell, clean the contacts and lube the switch if sticky.

If you feel comfortable doing this, there are videos on youtube that will help familiarize you with this repair.
Larry
Had a similar problem with my craftsman jointer took it to the repair shop, motor needed cleaned.
Quote:

make sure there isn't sawdust packed in the switch.

This...plus the caps....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

lkomroff said:

Since what you are describing is an intermittent issue, it sounds to me like a dirty or sticking centrifugal switch. This switch will switch the start capacitor in and out of the circuit. You can try to blow the switch out with air. It might help if it is not a TEFC motor. If it is a TEFC, this will require you to unplug the saw, remove the rear motor end bell, clean the contacts and lube the switch if sticky.

If you feel comfortable doing this, there are videos on youtube that will help familiarize you with this repair.

This.

One thing to note. Do not use ANY sort of spray lubricant/cleaner/whatever when cleaning out these contacts. Dry graphite is your friend.

Spray lubricants usually contain some sort of hydrocarbon. Image what will happen when the centrifugal switch opens/closes with the resulting arc.

DAMHIKT......
chris
Thanks, fellows! I'm sure it's dirty and dusty (the outside of the motor certainly gets dusty), and I think I can manage to take it apart and clean it. And now that you've given me enough terms to look up online, I can probably figure it out.

Thanks again!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop