Multiple Chucks?
Is there a good reason to have multiple chucks for a single lathe?
Jason

Yeah, if you can afford them. Saves time changing the jaws out.
Big chuck for big work; small chuck for small stuff

Also you can take a work in progress off the lathe by unscrewing the chuck to work on something else. Taking a piece out of a chuck adds the possibility of error when putting it back on.

Twinn
Will post for food.
+1. I have mostly Nova chucks, because the jaws are interchangeable between them. My one set of Oneway jaws hold my Longworth jaws. It may also be useful - if you have a larger lathe - to keep different size chucks: one for larger bowls and one for smaller bowls. I do both pens and bowls. One chuck is set up with pen jaws. One with bowl jaws, and one with the Longworth jaws aforementioned.

Herb G said:

Yeah, if you can afford them. Saves time changing the jaws out.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Jason28 said:

Is there a good reason to have multiple chucks for a single lathe?

Absolutely! Chucks are like clamps! LOL, can't have too many.
Steve K

Be careful, first you want a chuck for every jaw set. Then you want a lathe for every chuck
Stuart Batty commented at a demo once, "The difference between an American turner and a British turner, is that the American turner had 10 chucks with 10 sets of jaws, and a British turner has 1 chuck with 10 sets of jaws." Kind of true. I don't need another chuck, but after seeing the Easy Wood Tools chuck (Carl Jacobson who has a bunch of videos), it has quick change jaws, which will change out in seconds rather than most other chucks where you have to remove 8 set screws, then fish at least one out of the shavings. With that set up, I can easily see one chuck with 10 sets of jaws.... They ain't cheap though, probably in part since you will only need one...

robo hippy
I have a woodriver with 3 sets of jaws. 95% of the time, it has the pin jaws on since I got a supernova2 with bowl jaws. (The cole jaws were a waste of money. ) Got a regular Nova at a garage sale for $20 that only has standard bowl jaws on.

I like having multiple chucks because A) I was able to get a less expensive chuck (wood river) when I first started turning, B) it saves time changing out jaws, but there's no way I'd spend the money just to save 3 minutes when I want different jaws on, and C) it allows me to have multiple projects going.

In fact, I just came up from the basement and have a bowl with a rim inlay still in the chuck sitting on my bench. This illustrates point C - the outside is done, so I do not want to remove it from the chuck or else the rim around the inlay will be uneven no matter how careful I am putting it back in the chuck. (DAMHIKT) It will stay in the chuck until the epoxy cures and inside complete, only coming off when I finish turn the bottom. (I'm obviously not turning anything else at this very moment, but I have before and may well wish to do so before this bowl is complete... epoxy takes 72 hours before it's fully hard.)
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Yes! Changing jaws is a PITA. This is a small thing, but if you go with multiple chucks, consider getting several of the same chuck, that way you can use one wrench/key for all of them.
I like having multiple chuck but would have stopped with two.
However, I kept running across wuttenbuts on ebay so I wound up with seven over 3 - 4 years.