Multiple Chucks?
This is why Easy Wood Tools and Teknatool spent time and money developing their quick change chucks. You can literally swap from one set of jaws to another in 1 minute or less, without removing the Chuck from the lathe.

I own both and created a video comparing them head to head. watch the video

Hope this helps,

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I have just one, but I'd like more.
Extra chuck!
Upgrading to the Infinity jaws for my SN2 is tempting, but with all the recent quality issues, and the fact that you need to buy an adapter for each set of jaws in addition to the upgrade for the chuck doesn't make sense to me. I'd seriously consider the EZ chuck, but their selection of jaws is quite limited. No pen turning jaws. No pin jaws (closest is 1-1/2" vs. the 1" pin jaws I have now. Just your basic, basic jaws. Sure would like to see EZ come out with more diverse jaws.

handi said:

This is why Easy Wood Tools and Teknatool spent time and money developing their quick change chucks. You can literally swap from one set of jaws to another in 1 minute or less, without removing the Chuck from the lathe.

I own both and created a video comparing them head to head. watch the video

Hope this helps,

Ralph

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Jason28 said:

Is there a good reason to have multiple chucks for a single lathe?

Before my heart attacks I was beginning to get serious about turning. I started with one SN2. I added another when all it seemed I was doing was changing jaws. I added a third for a specific set of jaws. At that time my budget allowed it. It wasn't necessary but it sure was convenient. I would think a production turner would find it a business necessity for time savings alone.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
stoppy said:

[blockquote]Jason28 said:

Is there a good reason to have multiple chucks for a single lathe?

Before my heart attacks I was beginning to get serious about turning. I started with one SN2. I added another when all it seemed I was doing was changing jaws. I added a third for a specific set of jaws. At that time my budget allowed it. It wasn't necessary but it sure was convenient. I would think a production turner would find it a business necessity for time savings alone.

[/blockquote]

A two minute time saving sounds like a lot, but how many of us use a piddle pack to avoid spending twice that time going to the small room? Planning similar holds in a session spreads out lost time through several pieces when doing production.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
one lathe here.
I have one 120 Vicmarc and 4 Grizzly H6267 (Vicmarc clone) I love having them . you don't need them but spinning that chuck off and spinning on a different one is reeeeeally nice. If I find another for cheep, I will buy it.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
You might want to check that out. I have a pair of "pen jaws" for the Nova, but I also have a set of four tall narrow jaws on the Easy Chuck. They would easily trap a 1/4" dowel inside. If you want, I can check on Monday when I get back to the shop and post a pick.

I currently have at least 6 sets of regular jaws, as well as the "Big Easy" jaws for bowls.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
MichaelMouse said:

how many of us use a piddle pack

Is that a technical term for a tool you use?
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Ruler2112 said:

[blockquote]MichaelMouse said:

how many of us use a piddle pack

Is that a technical term for a tool you use?

[/blockquote]

Depends.

When you can afford to waste a second....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.