Knot Hole Fix
Depending n the knot, I've used clear epoxy on occasion. It makes for an interesting effect when you can see down into the knot...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I carefully drill or ream out the center of the knot, to make the present hole round and sound, following the angle that the little pin-branch that fell out was already growing in. Then I glue in a dowel of the same species. I make the dowel by whittling it oversized and chucking it into the drill press and "turning" it to size with a file and sandpaper with a slight taper so that when driven in from the show-side I can get it tight. Flush cut and sand or scrape flat and it will appear as a tight knot. It will take the stain or finish darker, just like the pin would've. A plug with side grain stains lighter and is more visible, unless you touch it up, IMO.

I like the occasional defect like this, if it is competently treated it adds interest to the piece.

I've done the same thing to a nail hole or to a pitch pocket. Then took my oil paints and painted in the rest of the "knot." Nobody's ever been the wiser.

David C
Poking my head up out of the hand tool forum.
Halfrathumb,

I have sawn out a tight knot and "inlaid" it where there was a hole. Due to the swirl around the knot, I doubt a dutchman would ever disguise it.

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com
This obviously calls for a small round dutchman the same thickness as the board.