Restoring 19th Century Butcher Block Table
Hi All,
Finally getting around to working on my son's butcher block table. As you can see from the pics, it is now partially disassembled. Problem now exists in separating the individual block. It appears the blocks have been glued with some form of hide glue (as one would expect with such an old table.) However, separating them (without breaking them) is becoming a chore. I have tried "gently nudging/prying them" and applying heat from a heat gun. Applying hot water is not an option as I do not want to swell the wood.
Any suggestions on how I can separate the various blocks? As you can see, there are numerous gaps which require squaring the blocks and then re-gluing them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140204625@N04/
Remove two * for proper email address!
Quote:

there are numerous gaps which require squaring the blocks and then re-gluing them.

If a lot need to be re-squared anyway, why not just band saw them apart? Then just re-cut the grooves with a dato blade and install new splines. If you don't have a band saw it is as good a reason to get one as any.

Tom
A bandsaw might be tough with the weight of the butcher block. Personally, I would pour boiling water on it and get the glue to loosen. The last thing you need to worry about is the water swelling the wood. All of that wood is going to need to be addressed before reglueing anyway.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
What did you do to date the block?

What makes you believe the glue is hide glue? There were a number of water resistant and waterproof adhesives. Hide glue deteriorates over time and would not be a top choice for a commercial butcher block.

I'm not sure you will ever be able to get the blocks cleanly removed.
Howie.........