Need help with filling void to match wood….
Hello,
I made a chair with through tenons, that did not come out perfectly, and have a small gap that needs to be filled (the next attempt will be better!)… Anyway, I was thinking of taking some sawdust from the same wood and mixing it with a glue that will take finish well (I'm planning on GF Arm-R-Seal).. Would some Franklin liquid hide glue be a good choice?
Thanks for the help-
Can you make a small wedge out of the same wood and pound it into the gap?
Israel said:

Hello,
I made a chair with through tenons, that did not come out perfectly, and have a small gap that needs to be filled (the next attempt will be better!)… Anyway, I was thinking of taking some sawdust from the same wood and mixing it with a glue that will take finish well (I'm planning on GF Arm-R-Seal).. Would some Franklin liquid hide glue be a good choice?
Thanks for the help-

I used sawdust and glue for years -- -- you need to stain the sawdust before mixing with glue. stain the area around the hole then apply the mix in the hole, let it partially dry(close to being completely dry) and then sand -- it helps to mix the wood coloring of the area around and the patch.

Practice on some scrap material first.
Dogs Understand Why We Ride

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

A Nation Of Sheep Breeds An Administration Of Wolves

Leave a good footprint -- you may only pass that way once.

PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE

Dave is on the right track there. Create an end grain wedge with grain that matches the tenon. Drive it in with glue and sand it flush.
+1 on the wedge ; chances are pretty good it will blend right in. Use hide glue or super glue; hides better than yellow.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Wedge sounds like a great idea…will try. Thanks!
Yep, a wedge is the way to go. It'll fill the gap and make the joint stronger. Just make sure to pound it in perpendicular to the grain!
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home