Bosch Colt Router
Hi all,

Some time back, I bought one of these as a return on the cheap at Home Depot:

What I have found in using it was the reason it was returned was the fine adjustment thread was stripped. Otherwise it works fine.

Doing some spelunking around EReplacementParts.com indicates a replacement "Bearing Flange" is $22 + shipping.

Questions for those out there who own this router:

1) Does your fine mechanism adjust still work?
2) Do you think it is worth the cost and time to replace the "Bearing Housing"?
3) Is the plunge dohicky worth having?

Thanks.

Chris
chris
Don't bother.

Just like the PC laminate trimmer that had the same sort of adjusting mechanism, it is just not worth the cost to fix it.

I own the Colt and have used the PC trimmer in pro shops for years. I stopped using the mechanism a long time ago. I just loosen the clamp knob more than usual (PC) or open the lever lock all the way (Bosch) and slide the base up or down by eye.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
handi said:

Don't bother.

Just like the PC laminate trimmer that had the same sort of adjusting mechanism, it is just not worth the cost to fix it.

I own the Colt and have used the PC trimmer in pro shops for years. I stopped using the mechanism a long time ago. I just loosen the clamp knob more than usual (PC) or open the lever lock all the way (Bosch) and slide the base up or down by eye.

Ralph

Kinda what I thought. Thanks
chris
I agree with Ralph. I have four of those routers and the adjustment wheel sometimes works, you really have to hold it in the locked position for the wheel to engage. If it really matter on a job for me I use the one in the Micro Fence plunge base. Most of the time I just eyeball it, mostly use it for round over bits.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I've never been able to successfully use the fine adjustment knob on my Colt. You're fine without it. It's probably the worst feature on the Colt. Yet somehow, they keep getting rated number one in all the reviews. Lately, I've been having problems with the motor clamp not locking the depth. I have to tighten the darned thing up to almost requiring a super human strength to close the clamp.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks all for the feedback. I wasn't looking forward to taking this thing apart to change the housing. Now I have a reason not to!

cheers,
chris
I use that adjustment wheel every time I use my Colt. I know a lot of people seem to have trouble with it, but I never have. Not sure what I am doing wrong. If it didn't work, I think it would be easy enough to work around it.
I have no trouble with my fine adjustment. I think you ought to toss the whole thing in a box with my address on it just to get rid of the headache.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
handi said:

Don't bother.

I just loosen the clamp knob more than usual (PC) or open the lever lock all the way (Bosch) and slide the base up or down by eye.

Ralph

Same here.
I bought one a couple years ago to replace my long in the tooth fifteen dollar HF trimmer. I also bought one of the PC trimmers mentioned as a replacement, but it was a real waste of bucks IMHO.

I've had difficulties with the fine adjust on my Colt as well, that aside its a nice little router.

I'm somewhat router poor having models from the B&D/Bosch era on including this fifteen dollar wonder from a KC swap meet a few years ago. Just for grins I'd like to find the little trimmer in the pic.

Mike