Notes from the Newbie Shop #2
So many firsts in the past several weeks. It's been very exciting and quite eye-opening.

Last time I updated, I was building an outfeed/assembly table using some cherry corner posts I had. Here it is finished and I don't know how I every used my table saw without it:

I've been working on a honey-do for the past several weeks. My wife asked for a couple of basket storage units to hold Barbies in my daughter's playroom. Guessing she didn't anticipate it taking 5 weeks, but I had some nice material I wanted to use and I took the opportunity to try some things I've never tried. They are made from mahogany veneered MDF and solid mahogany for the faceframe and top. Here are the finished (but unfinished) shelves:

Firsts for me in this project:

1. Dadoes:

2. Using a jointer and planer. Picked up this old 6"er on CL and it is a dream so far.

3. Gluing up jointed/planed material:

This is really my first time working with nice hardwood and having it square and flat was such a joy. Obviously didn't spend much time working with the grain for the glue-up, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Finally, I picked up some padauk today that I found on CL for my next honey-do. Expect a "Where do I start?" thread soon...

Thanks for reading. For some reason, sharing is therapeutic for me and I always learn a lot just from your responses.
Looking good so far That is a slice of padauk, what ya gonna make?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Well, it certainly looks like you're having fun.

Even after 15 years or so in this obsession, I'm still slow. LOML still underestimates how much time stuff will take. Particularly if I'm loaded down with things like projects in the house and garden.

And then...there's that necessity of my paying job which demands a fair amount of time.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
At first glance, I was shocked, . I saw the piece of Padauk sitting on the concrete. Then, I scrolled down and saw the sticks under it . It's amazing how many people still think it is ok to stack lumber on the ground, it picks up dirt, pebbles and other junk that will ruin jointer and planer knives.

Now, as for your Barbie project, a very fine job well done. It appears that you have learned a lot and are putting those skills to good use. Keep up the great work. Ask any questions that you may have, we are here to help.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Thanks, Guys.

The padauk is actually sitting on top of another slice that's a little bit longer (both off the concrete). Got 20 bdft between the two pieces. Going to make a round table top with it, probably about 38" in diameter. Should be a fun project with a lot of help needed.

Admittedly, the Barbie shelves are 1000% over-engineered, but I needed to use the veneered MDF I had.

Incidentally, what do you guys do with all the sheet goods cut-offs? Have a bunch of 10-14" X 4-8' cut offs that are just taking up floor space.
I save way too much material. Eventually, I either use it on a small job or get rid of them. Keep them for a while.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
You could make some upper cabinets for storage. They are typically on 12" deep.
Matt
I save my cutoffs by leaning them against the wall in a place where they are most likely to be in the way the next time I'm in the shop. Then I'll move them to the next spot where they'll be in the way the next weekend. After a while of this my clairvoyance will kick in and I'll finally toss them away in a fit of rage...only to discover a use for those random sizes a few weeks later. Then I'm off to buy whole news sheets and the cycle begins over again.
-Marc