Kitchen countertop installation
We recently installed a new laminate countertop that was cupped in the middle completely along the 10' piece and in order to level it, we had to put shims of 5/8" particle board under the centre part where our kitchen sink was installed to level the countertop. Has anyone had issues like this and any problems in the future?
Ok, have to ask, are your cabinets that far out of level ? If they are, I'd re-level the cabinets then install the countertop. If the top is that bowed, I'd get a new one. Usually what happens is the top is laminated on the top side only and left to sit around for a while. Since the underside is bare, the top warps. You can screw it to the cabinets and flatten it out but it is possible to have issues later on, the top will pull away from the cabinets. This is rare but it has happened. Do yourself a favor, do it right, level cabinets, straight countertop.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The base cabinets are level all along. Anything we read on the Net about warped bases on laminate countertops, this is more common than not. We will talk to our local hardware store who supplied the countertop to get their take on it.
If the top was bowed/cupped upon delivery, they should make it good. It used to be common practice to cover the bottom of the countertops with "backing sheet". That practice went by the wayside many moons ago. We don't even do it where I work now. Sometimes the tops are flat, sometimes they are not.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
museumguy said:

If the top was bowed/cupped upon delivery, they should make it good. It used to be common practice to cover the bottom of the countertops with "backing sheet". That practice went by the wayside many moons ago. We don't even do it where I work now. Sometimes the tops are flat, sometimes they are not.

On my kitchen they didn't even apply a backing sheet over the dishwasher. So now I get sawdust coming off the bottom of the counter from the disintegrated particle board. At the least they should have done was seal it with poly or something. Shabby.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yep, that's another reason for backing sheet. We use birch ply for our tops. I don't know of to many shops that use particle board anymore.

Garry
If the new top is screwed down flat I wouldn't expect a problem. The top was bowed because it was stored standing against a wall rather than flat and it took a set. Now that it is flat again it will conform to that.

When you say 5/8 shim in the center, I assume the top was made of a single layer with just the edges doubled up to give you a 1-1/2 top. Adding the 5/8 to the center is no different than if the top was made from 2 layers and will be fine. I always double up around the sink for extra strength when I install a top.

I would have rejected a bowed top at delivery but now that it is installed it will be fine.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Ask your supplier for a new top. Make sure the new top is straight and the bottom is sealed with backing laminate. This is a very thin, usually dark brown in color laminate.The purpose is to keep the top from cupping.
Years ago I installed counter tops in a new apartment building.2 months after I left I went back to replace most of the tops.The tops looked like a banana .They pulled the corner blocks out of the cabinets.After removing the tops,I replaced the corner blocks and new tops. None of the original tops had backing laminate underneath.All of the new ones did.About 70 tops were replaced.
mike
museumguy said:

Ok, have to ask, are your cabinets that far out of level ? If they are, I'd re-level the cabinets then install the countertop. If the top is that bowed, I'd get a new one. Usually what happens is the top is laminated on the top side only and left to sit around for a while. Since the underside is bare, the top warps. You can screw it to the cabinets and flatten it out but it is possible to have issues later on, the top will pull away from the cabinets. This is rare but it has happened. Do yourself a favor, do it right, level cabinets, straight countertop.

Exactly. The bottom absorbs moisture over time, and expands. The top is held by the laminate. So you get a potato chip. And it is amazing the force it can take to flatten once warped. I imagine plywood would be far less susceptible to this.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I sent back tops 3 times that were no good that was purchased from Menard at the time and they always made good on them but was a pain in the neck.I explained what was wrong each time but what does the driver care, he just delivers.Not sure if they ever changed fabricators or not.