Wood stereo speakers fetch $280,000.00
These speakers cost $280,000.00 and are made primarily of wood.

http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/imperia
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Maybe the wood is just a novelty to justify their outrageous price. Someone with too much time and money on their hands will probably buy them, though. One interesting note is they only use sapwood to produce the speakers. Kind of defeats the purpose of advertising they are made of walnut, cherry, or ash. The company's speakers are more art than function, IMO.

This link doesn't require a subscription:

OMA Imperia Speakers
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Maybe the wood is just a novelty to justify their outrageous price. Someone with too much time and money on their hands will probably buy them, though. One interesting note is they only use sapwood to produce the speakers. Kind of defeats the purpose of advertising they are made of walnut, cherry, or ash. The company's speakers are more art than function, IMO.

OMA Imperia Speakers

Thanks for your improved link. I deleted my original link and "borrowed" yours.

But according to this New York Times article these are really good speakers: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/t-maga....html?_r=0

And C/net seems to agree:

http://www.cnet.com/news/adventures-in-h...ill-audio/
Absent a review by someone like MIX or Electronic Musician I have to think that P. T. Barnum was right.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 said:

Absent a review by someone like MIX or Electronic Musician I have to think that P. T. Barnum was right.

In a criticism of Barnum, David Hannum made that statement.

These speakers are proof that wealthy people need not be intelligent.

In this instance the quote attributed to Thomas Tusser would actually be more applicable.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Granted, they are good, but there are far less expensive ways to reproduce sound worthy of an audiofile's praise. Interestingly enough, the NYT article quotes the price as $175K. Somehow, the price has gone up $105K, or a 60% increase in four years. Wish my 401k was doing that well.

Cooler said:

But according to this New York Times article these are really good speakers: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/t-maga....html?_r=0

And C/net seems to agree:
http://www.cnet.com/news/adventures-in-h...ill-audio/

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
This would be a good subject for Ellen's Challenge. They would have been more appealing if the horns had been coopered to a round shape.
AHill said:

OMA Imperia Speakers

"Outrageous"? "Too much time and money on their hands?"

Why so negative? Why so judgmental? The market bears what the market bears. If I could build those and have somebody buy them, I'd do it all day.

If it ain't your cup of tea, don't drink it. But, please, PLEASE don't pee in somebody else's cup.
Semper fi,
Brad

®smpr_fi_mac® said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

OMA Imperia Speakers

"Outrageous"? "Too much time and money on their hands?"

Why so negative? Why so judgmental? The market bears what the market bears. If I could build those and have somebody buy them, I'd do it all day.

If it ain't your cup of tea, don't drink it. But, please, PLEASE don't pee in somebody else's cup.

[/blockquote]

I have a right to my opinion, as do you. More power to those who buy the speakers, and more power to the guy who makes them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like the conical speakers, but those grey boxes on the wall are not too appealing. Also, the box with the grey slats on the front could be a bit more pleasant for that price.

I know the chairs aren't included, but the look pretty cool too.