Disston "42X" Saw Set????
I just purchased this Disston saw set on eBay this morning. It clearly shares a lineage with the Stanley 42X, but has several differences. Besides the double plunger/hammer set, there is an adjustable blade guide just below it. Note too that there are replaceable wear plates where the saw teeth come into contact with the body of the set. I am anxious to take a closer look at it.

It has a Disston label on it and what appears to be a model number. Any thoughts on this tool? Perhaps Disston contracted Stanley to make a version of the 42X with these improvements?

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
All I can add is that it is early, based on the decal. I was also impressed by the wear guards where the teeth hit the top of the set.
Hi Bob,

Very interesting.....

Your excellent pictures show that the adjustable stop and the tooth guards are non-factory modifications?

The Disston label is puzzling.

Stanley always included the model number inside one of the handles and often times where the adjustable stop is.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
MarvW said:

Your excellent pictures show that the adjustable stop and the tooth guards are non-factory modifications?

The Disston label is puzzling.

Stanley always included the model number inside one of the handles and often times where the adjustable stop is.

Marv,

I cannot claim the photos. They came from the eBay posting.

Here is a clip from the Old Tool Archive from a few years ago:

Your Disston #24 sawset is, I believe, identical to the Stanley #42. If I
remember correctly, Stanley sold the set to Disston without the Stanley
markings and Disston turned around and sold it under their number #24. I
would expect this was much like the arrangement that Stanley had with
Montgomery Wards over planes.

It is clearly not identical to the Stanley version due to the presence of the tooth guards and the additional stop. I cannot tell from the photos if they are user modifications or not. I'll know more when it arrives.
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan
I too, think that those mods were made post-production.

Have a look at this specimen (courtesy of Patrick Leach's tool list)

Joe Bailey said:

That would explain the serrations on the tooth protectors. I thought they might have been serrations to keep the pieces in place. Now it is likely that the guy used bits of an old file.

Still pretty cool since I had contemplated a similar modification for tools that had grooves worn into them, though probably with a softer metal.
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan
Bob,

If you were to modify or fix a 42X with tooth guards, using metal that is harder than saw teeth, in my opinion, would be just fine. When setting teeth, we should not be dragging the saw set over the teeth to the extent that it can damage the points of the teeth. I always lift the saw set then set it down over the next tooth to be set.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
enjuneer said:

[blockquote]Joe Bailey said:

That would explain the serrations on the tooth protectors. I thought they might have been serrations to keep the pieces in place. Now it is likely that the guy used bits of an old file.

Still pretty cool since I had contemplated a similar modification for tools that had grooves worn into them, though probably with a softer metal.

[/blockquote]

The lack of finish on both sides would also tend to suggest a user modification. Probably made the pieces proud of the sawset and then belt sanded or ground them flush.