zinc covered countertop
In Europe it is not uncommon to see counter tops topped with zinc. This is solid zinc sheets and not zinc coated steel (galvanized steel). When zinc corrodes (it does so very slowly) it first gets gray colored and then if left alone will develop zinc oxide (a white powdery substance. But if wiped down often it will just get a subtle patina.

Zinc has "zero memory". That is when you bend it, it does not want to spring back to its original shape. So you can easily bend it over a form.

This blog gives a clear step by step to cover a table: http://vanhookandco.blogspot.com/2012/03...metal.html

This site sells the zinc sheets: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/zincsheet03044.htm

I think this would work well for one of my counters (with the sink).

Has anyone tried this? Any comments or suggestions?

This would be a "poor man's stainless steel counter". I'm pretty sure I could pull this off. I might even be able to fabricate the sink too.

The 10 foot long sheet costs $220.00 + shipping. So I think I can get this done for about $400.00 including the solder, freight and substrate.

A lot less than stainless steel.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It was popular here at one time. It is a good material in that it will out last you, easy to maintain, and I believe no toxin issue. I thick bacteria doesn't like it either. You just have to accept the color.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Interesting idea. I have seen it in Europe but never thought of doing it myself. Funny thing is we bought a cheap piece of furniture locally specifically for the popcorn machine. The top on it is aluminum I think and I like it.

At $12 a linear foot plus shipping it might not be too bad. Course LOML wants granite and so would a buyer most likely. I think it'd look good with the cherry cabinets.
The zinc countertop site I found recommended 15ga at $150-200 per square foot. 20ga is pretty thin.

I've bought galvanized metal and made my owner surfaces for outdoor counters. It worked well but I had to roll the edges around a plywood substrate because it was pretty thin.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Robert Adams said:

Interesting idea. I have seen it in Europe but never thought of doing it myself. Funny thing is we bought a cheap piece of furniture locally specifically for the popcorn machine. The top on it is aluminum I think and I like it.

At $12 a linear foot plus shipping it might not be too bad. Course LOML wants granite and so would a buyer most likely. I think it'd look good with the cherry cabinets.

The thing is that it does not require a high skill set or any specialized tools (I have a soldering iron).
Splinter Puller said:

The zinc countertop site I found recommended 15ga at $150-200 per square foot. 20ga is pretty thin.

I've bought galvanized metal and made my owner surfaces for outdoor counters. It worked well but I had to roll the edges around a plywood substrate because it was pretty thin.

The zinc seller says this:

Question #1. What thickness should I use?

For zinc counter top use, we recommend a minimum of .027" or thicker for your zinc sheet.Then it will depend on who is doing the fabrication. Most DIY'ers like working with the .027 and .030. Most Sheet metal shops like working with thicker .040 and .060. It depends on if they want to Tig weld or solder, and many other factors.

I would solder and I think it would lock me in at 0.030" thick.

But if it is glued down to the substrate I don't think it will be an issue.
Well crap. Now I'm looking at pics of zinc countertops on houzz and I like it. Would like thicker but not a really big deal.

Welding zinc is a bad idea. There are some rods out there but I think they are closer to aluminum mix than zinc. Zinc off Gass very nasty and can cause serious issues like the zinc shakes etc. Solder it don't weld it.
However if that wasn't the case then it could justify a tig welder...