Water Softner Brands
I know that there have been a few threads lately discussing water softener, but wanted a different approach. Not so concerned with who to buy from as those have been discussed previously.

Looking at brands of systems, what did you go with and why? I know that Fleck is a highly recommended brand by most, so which model did you go with and why?

System that is in our house is a big box brand and about 7 years old and the suction valve from the brine tank is failing and getting air in our water system. I am thinking of replacing rather than repairing as it is a $400 unit that needs a $100 valve on a system that is expected to last about 7 years on average according to those that I have talked to.

Thank you in advance
It's all good till it's no good anymore.
Rainsoft. Great systems and great service.
I buy Fleck because it's pretty much the industry standard and if you need it serviced, everybody works on them. Although, you won't need it serviced much. In 14 years, I had to replace one valve at about $50. They are very easy to work on. It's the same technology as most, including Rainsoft and Culliigan. Fleck uses a very simple "single" valve design compared to many of the other type units with multi lobe cams and several valves. I believe Rainsoft uses a single valve also. Rainsoft used to be rebadged Fleck equipment like Sears. Sears has good pricing but I'm not sure I would trust them to recommend the right equipment. I'm not sure if they still are. You can buy Fleck equipment online and you don't have to go through a Franchise like Culligan or Rainsoft. Not sure but Rainsoft used to be sold through franchises. I believe they sell their lower end equipment at Home Depot now.

As far as model goes, that will be determined by testing your water and flow rate. I've installed several Fleck units and every situation called for different equipment. The Ohio Pure Water link will walk you through a flow test. I use the water test kits at the hardware store.They give you a good idea of your water condition. If you want more accurate data, you send it out.

Another thing I like about Fleck is the pricing available online from people who know what they are doing. I use Ohio Pure Water because I trust them. They've never let me down. But, I'm usually dealing with well water which can need much more than softening. They were about 50% less than the local supplier and more helpful. Everything is delivered on a skid, except the salt.

I personally would buy a fleck unit even if I weren't installing it myself. If you aren't doing the install, you might have to sit through high pressure sales pitches or buy whatever the local plumber sells. Or just find a plumber who doesn't mind if you supply the equipment.

You should be able to buy a high end unit around $800. When I say "high end" I mean something with a large resin and brine tank so it doesn't have to regenerate all the time and you aren't constantly feeding it salt. The valve heads wear out quicker in the small units because they have to regenerate more often than the larger units.
I followed advice such as Snipe Hunter provided, when I asked here. The demand and hardness of my water called for this unit and I bought from the outfit in the link. They were quite helpful with the 2 questions I had when I installed it, and I bought it with an optional (larger) brine tank and premium resin. Altogether I spent not quite $800 and installed it in less than 2 hours. Filling/purging the resin tank was about the most painful part...you have to fill it very slowly, and that took almost 3 hours by itself. When I contacted a local plumbing outfit about installing one, they would do a lesser quality softener and "guessed" (not estimated") it would be $1200. One pother thing, my salt usage decreased hugely from the POS Water Boos unit that crapped out....it's amazing how efficient the newer softeners are; both with salt and wasted water during the regeneration process. We just bought another house that has an older mechanical softener in it, and I intend to replace it with this type as soon as we move in.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Snipe Hunter said:

I buy Fleck because it's pretty much the industry standard and if you need it serviced, everybody works on them. Although, you won't need it serviced much. In 14 years, I had to replace one valve at about $50. They are very easy to work on. It's the same technology as most, including Rainsoft and Culliigan. Fleck uses a very simple "single" valve design compared to many of the other type units with multi lobe cams and several valves. I believe Rainsoft uses a single valve also. Rainsoft used to be rebadged Fleck equipment like Sears. Sears has good pricing but I'm not sure I would trust them to recommend the right equipment. I'm not sure if they still are. You can buy Fleck equipment online and you don't have to go through a Franchise like Culligan or Rainsoft. Not sure but Rainsoft used to be sold through franchises. I believe they sell their lower end equipment at Home Depot now.

As far as model goes, that will be determined by testing your water and flow rate. I've installed several Fleck units and every situation called for different equipment. The Ohio Pure Water link will walk you through a flow test. I use the water test kits at the hardware store.They give you a good idea of your water condition. If you want more accurate data, you send it out.

Another thing I like about Fleck is the pricing available online from people who know what they are doing. I use Ohio Pure Water because I trust them. They've never let me down. But, I'm usually dealing with well water which can need much more than softening. They were about 50% less than the local supplier and more helpful. Everything is delivered on a skid, except the salt.

I personally would buy a fleck unit even if I weren't installing it myself. If you aren't doing the install, you might have to sit through high pressure sales pitches or buy whatever the local plumber sells. Or just find a plumber who doesn't mind if you supply the equipment.

You should be able to buy a high end unit around $800. When I say "high end" I mean something with a large resin and brine tank so it doesn't have to regenerate all the time and you aren't constantly feeding it salt. The valve heads wear out quicker in the small units because they have to regenerate more often than the larger units.

+1

I used cleanwaterstore.com for mine, but there are plenty of reputable dealers.

Stay away from Rainsoft and Culligan unless you like to have your wallet raped.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
The only thing I can add is to suggest you don't make the mistake I did by buying a Whirlpool. Uses a ton of salt and regenerates way too often. Bought it at a big box store based on the Whirlpool name....I'll never make that mistake about Whirlpool again.
This is the Brand I had installed about 7 years ago Hellenbrand Water Softeners a ProMate 6.0. Highly recommend. Made in WI. I fill the large tank, once a year and have never had an issue. Dan
I put a GE unit in (not my well liked brand) and it has been working great. Uses far less salt and water the previous unit did. Got it at the big box store.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
We went with Kinetico. Not the cheapest out there, but it uses less salt, it has two tanks so it can recharge any time day or night without interfering with water usage, instead of timing it for the middle of the night. Runs mechanically, not with electricity, IIRC.
Our Kinetico system is nearing 18 years of flawless performance.

None of the single-tank system which cycle themselves in their own dirty brine work as well or last as long.
And, the Kinetico has no computer parts to fry. Just a stainless steel gear which runs and runs and runs.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.