Water Softner Brands
The brine isn't dirty. It stays in a closed container before it's used for the backwash cycle. Then the backwashed media is rinsed with fresh water.

I've heard people say that before and as far as I can tell, "dirty brine" is a sales pitch. It's no dirtier than any other water. It comes from the same source as the rest of the household water.
IMHO, it's analogous to creating dish rinse water from the dirty soap water.
The Kinetico always starts with water from a clean, fresh tank.
However, putting that aside, I don't know of any system that'll last as long as theirs or be as trouble free.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
FWIW, Kinetico here as well. almost 30 years with the same equipment with only 2 service calls, and one was our fault. What can be more simple? no electric, and it recharges on demand. Lower salt usage and no power consumption.
A reverse osmosis (salt) softener also always starts with clean fresh water unless the water from the pipe is dirty. A filter would be needed to remove solids in the water. That also holds true with the Kinetico. A softener doesn't clean the water. It removes dissolved minerals. The brine/flush cycle separates the minerals from the media inside the tank. Then it's flushed with fresh water and in doing so, that water is also softened.