Alternative to BLO on cherry
Well did a few test pieces for finish for the kitchen cabinets. LOML likes the look of the BLO then top coated with a clear.

However I don't really like BLO cause it stinks for a long time and takes a long time to dry. So looking for something that is similar in appearance.

Whatever it is it has to like being under a top coat. I usually use urethane (automotive urerhane) for a topcoat on cabinets and I also usually just clear coat cherry... The urethane is extremely durable(obviously) but it does have uv inhibitors which slow the aging of the wood. I also like the urethane for its super fast drying and great flowout.
I assume you are spraying your clear coat, yes? If so, then I recommend you look at spraying Transtint in water or DNA first. You can make any color and shade you want. BLO blotches on cherry if the grain is not perfect, so it's good that you are looking for alternatives. If you spray Transtint it will never blotch as long as you don't get so much on that it forms a puddle. Just wet the wood. If you need a darker shade, use a stronger concentration. Pretty simple.

After you spray the Transtint, it will look ugly when it dries. Fear not, it will look great after you apply a couple of coats of finish. Do Not sand before applying at least one coat of finish or you risk cutting right through the dye.

Make some samples. I think you will like it. BTW, Transtint Brown Mahogany looks great on cherry.

Except for the shelves, this color was from 5 g Transtint Brown Mahogany in 500 ml H2O. The topcoat was EnduroVar.

John
You could stay with the BLO. and top it with a coat of shellac. That would seal the smell and provide a good base for your top coat. There was an article by Michael Dresner (some consider him a guru) that opined under an oil based finish, BLO didn't do anything the oil base didn't do....he offered several pics to prove his point. I don't know what "automotive urethane" is, but try putting it directly on the cherry and see if it gives the look you seek.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have been really considering the transtint dye. I have used it once in the past but just don't have enough experience with using it. I know it's one of those things once I really start I won't want to use anything else.

I'll pick up some of the mahogany dye and see how it turns out. Gotta go out of my way to get it locally now so I may just order.

The clear I like is the kirker euro clear with a little flattened added to it to get rid of some of the gloss since it's an automotive topcoat. Great stuff and affordable as well as super durable especially in a kitchen.

And yes I will be spraying. I have gear to do pretty much anything. Even on projects where I use a stain I spray it now as I can cover quicker more even and so much less waste. Also helps to spray when it's very hot as wiping it by hand is very bad in the summer even with the ac running.
An alternate to john's approach is to use transtint in shellac. It is easier to see what it looks like and to get the right appearance. If done carefully it produces essentially the same appearance as BLO with a fraction of the time and hassle. I spray orange shellac as it doesn't color the wood much at all and is cheap. I mix my own shellac and like THAI Seedlac on cherry with or without added transtint.

Try a couple tests with transtint in shellac I think that you will find it easier.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Well I got loml to let me just clear coat the doors and drawers. I had a few that I made a few months ago and they had darkened quite a bit and she is ok with that now. Actually the cherry was much more of a dark brown than I'd like but it didn't have anything on it.
If I were to dye I would go more with red than brown as it looks more like cedar over time.