Did they have tablesaws in 1839?
My grandfather and I built a sash saw modeled after his grandfathers.
This would put the families saw at least into the early 1800's.If I'm not mistaken the first powered saw went back to the Romans in the middle ages.
I do not see a saw in the photo.Do you have a better picture for my old eyes?
Probably quite a few sash saws were built before electric power or internal combustion engines.I ran our saw on an old diesel engine from an irrigation pump.Most ran from the power of a water wheel.
Nothing but a reciprocating wood sash that held saw blades vertically and ran in a side frame.The up and down motion was from a pitman arm driven by the water wheel.

mike
Looks like some sort of Combo machine with a cool curved base. I don't think he implied the age of the machine but it's funny when you look at it.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Arlin Eastman said:

His was not, but there were table saws back then and they were make with peddles or like a foot powered lathe.

Arlin

Are you sure about that. Commercial establishments were located near water, used water power and a belt drive system. If I understand the systems correctly, machines were started by engaging a clutch. The power was always on, as the water wheel was always turning.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
http://www.yorksaw.com/blog/2009/12/hist...cular-saw/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Like Jacks like.

Not everyone had water back then and it was the same as the scroll saw back in the 1700 and then the table saw fell into that and tools like the Jointer and Dado were also either ran by hand or by foot.

Google works pretty good however watching Roy Underwood has used lot of them or had others on that had those tools and he gave me tons of info too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Tabitha Babbitt (1779 – about 1853) was an early American and Shaker tool maker and inventor. She is widely regarded as the inventor of the circular saw however this is contested by some researchers. Her saw was originally used in a sawmill.
Gentleman Jim said:

Tabitha Babbitt (1779 – about 1853) was an early American and Shaker tool maker and inventor. She is widely regarded as the inventor of the circular saw however this is contested by some researchers. Her saw was originally used in a sawmill.

This is one of those unfounded 'facts' that I hoped the internet would kill rather than propagate.

-Mark, who says perpetual motion is a fact. This is however contested by some researchers.
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Roy Underhill has a foot powered TS he used on one of his shows. I know it was in the 1800's but can't remember the exact age.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.