Vaccum Vaneer Press
I am interested in building a Vacuum Veneer press.
I looked at Joe.Woodworker.com
Joe
he has lot of information that site.

Has anyone here build the press using his plans, ideas? If so any information will be appreciated.

Also I see lot of vacuum pumps on craigslist, any suggestion on which pump to buy.
I built one. I built the powered one using one of his GD Thomas rebuilt pumps and all the parts I needed from him. It was not only fun to build but works very well....I do it again. The only thing I would do different from my initial order is go with the poly bag, I started with a vinyl one, and the poly is so superior in every way it's worth the extra cost. I'd stay with his rebuilt pumps as well...they are a good deal (even cheaper now than when I bought mine) and he can help with any hiccups you might have....which brings me to the last point, Joe is great to deal with and responds to any questions you may have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Joe's plans are about the simplest and easiest for anyone to create.

As for a pump diaphragm is first a dry rotary pump second Venturi pumps (compressor pumps) third

I would stay away from lubricated pumps mainly because they require more maintenance
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I built the EVS system from his website about 8yrs ago. It was definitely a fun and easy thing to build, and I've used it since on all of my veneering projects without complaint.
fredhargis said:

I built one. I built the powered one using one of his GD Thomas rebuilt pumps and all the parts I needed from him. It was not only fun to build but works very well....I do it again. The only thing I would do different from my initial order is go with the poly bag, I started with a vinyl one, and the poly is so superior in every way it's worth the extra cost. I'd stay with his rebuilt pumps as well...they are a good deal (even cheaper now than when I bought mine) and he can help with any hiccups you might have....which brings me to the last point, Joe is great to deal with and responds to any questions you may have.

+1...I echo Fred's comments except I did go with the poly bag (cry once) and bought a rebuilt Thomas pump from the 'BAY. It was really fun to build and couldn't be happier with the system.

Johnet
I also built one from Joe's and it has been perfect for my needs. I did go cheap on a bag though. I bought the heaviest sheet vinyl I could from my local hardware and make my own bags. They have done everything I need them to.
Steve K

I built the EVS+ which took much less time than I thought and has worked perfectly. I think his compressor requirements are higher than needed and you can get away with a smaller compressor than he recommends.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I built the flat vacuum press (if that's the right term) from the plans on Joe's website. The only thing I bought from him was the seal tape to go around the perimeter of the frame and some mesh. I used 30 mil vinyl from a local boat accessory company. It leaks quite a lot around the seal. In truth, Joe said you would get more leakage the larger the press and mine is large. As a result, I have to run the vacuum pump continuously so I only use it with yellow glue where the press time is an hour. Prior to that I built my own vacuum bag system using 20 mil vinyl from McMaster Carr. That bag is about 15 years old now and still in frequent use, having suffered two holes in all that time. The advantage of using vinyl is you can easily seam your own bag with PVC pipe cement. I just roll the open end of the bag over a piece of wood a couple of times and it seals to itself. I bought a Gast dry rotary pump and just use an on/off timer to maintain the vacuum level. It varies a couple of inches of Hg, not enough to be an issue. Simple seems to work just fine for me.

John
What are the issues with rotary vane pumps that take oil? Curious how something like this might work:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012CFTYX4/ref=...OYB5J&psc=1
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''