VFD replacement
I posted this in the turning forum but another member suggested I post it here as well;

One of the ladies in our wood turning club has to replace the VFD on her Jet 1642EVS. She says a new one from jet is about 700 bucks. Is there a better option?
Steve K

www.factorymation.com
Steve K said:

I posted this in the turning forum but another member suggested I post it here as well;

One of the ladies in our wood turning club has to replace the VFD on her Jet 1642EVS. She says a new one from jet is about 700 bucks. Is there a better option?

How does she know that it's bad? These things are typically pretty reliable. Does it power up at all? Does it display anything? More info would be helpful in diagnosing the issue. Looking at the schematic in the manual indicates a directional switch, a potentiometer and an on-off switch. Get out a meter and check those first. Check all the connections. It may not be the VFD.

Saying that, it looks like an off the shelf VFD. Some pictures and label data would enable one of us to identify a replacement less than the $600 price from online vendors.

The downside to a replacement is I suspect there will be some settings to tweak on a replacement that might not be obvious to a non-techy person.
chris
Just a note... In variable speed applications, I generally look for a JNEV series rather than FM to get the built-in speed dial rather than buttons. It's a good $20 upgrade, IMO.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
skizzo said:

Just a note... In variable speed applications, I generally look for a JNEV series rather than FM to get the built-in speed dial rather than buttons. It's a good $20 upgrade, IMO.

Agreed. Got one on my drill press. It's 'da bomb. Amazing slow speed torque as well
chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]Steve K said:

How does she know that it's bad? These things are typically pretty reliable. Does it power up at all? Does it display anything? More info would be helpful in diagnosing the issue. Looking at the schematic in the manual indicates a directional switch, a potentiometer and an on-off switch. Get out a meter and check those first. Check all the connections. It may not be the VFD.

Saying that, it looks like an off the shelf VFD. Some pictures and label data would enable one of us to identify a replacement less than the $600 price from online vendors.

The downside to a replacement is I suspect there will be some settings to tweak on a replacement that might not be obvious to a non-techy person.

[/blockquote]

First, thanks to all who replied. I'm getting the info second hand and here is what she said. Said they had a power surge, fried the breaker and they lost the VFD, their well pump, and something else, can't remember just what. She said the VFD doesn't display anything at all.
Steve K

Her choice in VFD will greatly depend on her need for Jet support down the road. If she installs another brand the Jet CS will most likely drop her calls at first chance. You may just want to let her buy the Jet model as you may end up being the support if you talk her into another brand. If she installs another brand, she will be interpreting the wiring layout for the install and switches and speed and rotation and the nice and neat wiring on the machine may or may not work without modification. All doable but not simple plug and play.

Pots can be added to any VFD pretty much. I like machines with remote switch stations and Pots as you can then protect the VFD correctly and mount them away from dust and in an enclosure. I have very dusty environments or coolant involved with my CNC machines though so YMMV.

I am a fan of Hitachi VFDs personally.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Steve K said:

First, thanks to all who replied. I'm getting the info second hand and here is what she said. Said they had a power surge, fried the breaker and they lost the VFD, their well pump, and something else, can't remember just what. She said the VFD doesn't display anything at all.

At this point, it wouldn't hurt anything to pull the VFD out and take the cover off. Hopefully there is a fuse inside. If not, post some photos here of the innards and perhaps the cause will be obvious.

In any event, it seems like there is enough damage to justify a claim against their homeowners insurance. I would look into it. It would depend on the deductible whether it's worth it or not.
chris
I love threads where someone posts looking for advice and then never bothers to respond if the problem was resolved or not......
chris