Opinions, please: New Nova DVR XP vs Used Nova 3000 XP
Hi everyone,
As mentioned in the subject line, I am looking for opinions on the pros/cons between purchasing a new Nova DVR XP and a used Nova 3000 XP. Intended use for the lathe is bowls, hollow forms, pens, etc. Limited spindle work is expected.

The XP is currently on sale at Woodcraft for $1800 and it includes (via mail-in) a free chuck with accessory jaws and adapter.

The used 3000 DVR would be a local private purchase. The seller is asking $2000, but included is a stand (steel not cast iron), outrigger, bed extension, the Nova live center, and a mobile base. This lathe is about 10 years old, but lightly used in a 2-lathe home shop. Seller reports that the lathe works perfectly with never an issue. I think a fair price for this lathe would be in the $1500-$1700 range considering the 'extras', but no way to know if the seller would accept at that price.

My gut feeling is to go with new vs old, but I am a little concerned with Teknatool's quality on their new China-built products. The used 3000 DVR is one of the original DVRs built in New Zealand.

The new XP can go down to 100 RPM vs 250 RPM for the 3000 XP which I see as beneficial in turning bowls from logs/rough stock.

The Woodcraft sale seems like a really great deal -- I am just a little gun-shy on the quality front. The additional accessories on the used 3000 (especially the stand) would be nice, but I can always pick those up at a later date if I need them.

My thanks in advance for insights, especially from folks who have used either/both of these lathes.

Regards,
SteveK
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
I think the old lathe is over priced. I would prefer the slower minimum speed. I think another difference is the number of 'favorite' turning speeds you can program into the lathe with the old one only having a few, but the newer ones having 5 or more. Not positive on that. I don't know if the old one can be reprogrammed for the slower speed or not.

robo hippy
If a warranty is important to you, get the new one. The accessories on the used one are nice. If you can get the seller to knock off $500-700, I think you'll be getting a good deal.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree with Robo and Ahill.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
+1 what robo hippy said.
I appreciate everyone's input over the last few hours.

The prevailing view is that the used 3000 has some nice accessories with it, but is over-priced, even at the lower range I suggested. Sounds like $1200-$1400 might be more in-line with a 'deal', even with a few limitations like a higher minimal speed and fewer 'favorites'.

No one seems concerned about the DVR XP quality vs the DVR3000?
"I don't have an answer to your question....but I can answer a question that you may be asking in the future"
Not really

Also the motor on the XP is slightly different, and more powerful. The XP control board has 5 speeds, four programmable.

The 3000 DVR bed is a different type and things like the swing away or bed extensions will not fit it.

The tail stock on the XP is slightly stronger.

The 300 owner needs to get real with his price if he wants to sell it
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I have a DVR 3000 (one of the original types). Interesting that you say the low speed limit is 250 RPM. Mine is 100 RPM. The specs in the manual say 100 RPM. I purchase with 2 bed extensions. I also added the optional swing away outrigger rest and converted the motor from 120VAC to 240VAC. Finally, after the XP came out, I was able to order and install the XP control panel with the programmable set speeds (I think it was around $150). So, I essentially have a DVR XP. About the only difference is the design of the bed. The DVR XP bed is a more robust/sturdy design, but the DVR 3000 bed is very sturdy.

The used price of $2000 is probably a bit high. He is offering the stand, outrigger and some other stuff. But, you could talk him down some. The Woodcraft deal sounds pretty good, but you're going to be spending more for an equivalent setup as the used. I can't address the Chinese import issue. Choices...
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

dav said:

I have a DVR 3000 (one of the original types). Interesting that you say the low speed limit is 250 RPM. Mine is 100 RPM. The specs in the manual say 100 RPM.

The seller provided a photo of the bed that shows a label containing basic lathe 'specs'. That label says 250 RPM as minimum speed; the seller also confirmed. From what I have read online, the 250 minimum speed was reduced to 100 RPM after the first 'run' from the factory.

Good to hear that the new control panel can cut down to the 100 RPM speed.

I will work with seller to get price down to something more realistic.

Thanks, again, to all for collective comments - very much appreciated!
SteveK said:

[blockquote]dav said:

I have a DVR 3000 (one of the original types). Interesting that you say the low speed limit is 250 RPM. Mine is 100 RPM. The specs in the manual say 100 RPM.

The seller provided a photo of the bed that shows a label containing basic lathe 'specs'. That label says 250 RPM as minimum speed; the seller also confirmed. From what I have read online, the 250 minimum speed was reduced to 100 RPM after the first 'run' from the factory.

Good to hear that the new control panel can cut down to the 100 RPM speed.

I will work with seller to get price down to something more realistic.

Thanks, again, to all for collective comments - very much appreciated!

[/blockquote]

Just wanted to clarify, my DVR 3000 was able to run at 100 RPM as purchased. The only thing the new control panel added was the same functionality as the DVR XP (programmable set speeds...). I hadn't heard about the 250 RPM limit with the 1st run from the factory. I guess mine wasn't a 1st run factory model.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon