Dust collector - Delta 50-760
Request your help. MY dust collector won't start. There is current/electricity to the switch from the power cord. The switch checks good in terms of continutity with a VOM. I assume its the START or RUN capacitor.
Two questions. 1) How do I check each? 2) Where can I find them? Both are listed as obsolete and not available. Found nothing on line. Thanks

Dave
What does it do when you put power to it; sits there humming loudly, or dead silent?

If it's humming, unplug it and pull the fan cover and fan. Many of those small Delta DC's used what looks like a TEFC motor, but the centrifugal switch is actually under the fan and exposed to dust and dirt. Quickest, easiest place to start with a high likelihood of being the problem. Capacitors can also cause this symptom, so that's the next place to look, but without the switch closing, the capacitors aren't being utilized, so start there.

If it's making no sound, you need to check the windings to see if there is continuity.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tom- "Full Marks" !! The problem was a wee bit of corrosion on the surfaces of the centrifugal switch. I sanded the surfaces, reassembled everything, said a prayer, and flipped the power switch. Walla, the motor started. Music to my ears. You saved me hundreds of dollars. Can't thank you enough.

Dave
You're welcome. Glad it worked out.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have a 50-760. No problems ever, but I'm glad you posted. I'll keep this in mind if I ever do have problems.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

dav said:

I have a 50-760. No problems ever, but I'm glad you posted. I'll keep this in mind if I ever do have problems.

Me too, thanks for posting!
War Eagle!