Just because I can doesn't mean I should
Looked up plans in ShopNotes for a sanding disc stand for my new lathe. The author says that his lathe has a 12" swing, so he made the disc 11 7/8".

I'm looking at my lathe thinking "Gee, I've got a 25" swing, I could make a 24" disc".

Then I look up on Klingspore and the largest adhesive disc they have is 20", for ~$15 each.

Think I'll make it a 12" disc. (5pk =~$15). Probably a little safer plus the smaller size will be easier to store.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I made one for my PM3520b that is 15" and Grizzly has lots of sizes. To me I like it the best because I can turn it fast or slow. I also made a 90* stand for it in my banjo which is 1".

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Sandi...-pk-/D4183

They come in a 2 pack and if you scroll down the page you will see other grits. Also they have an adhesive back. When I sanded down the wood I sealed it with 3 coats of shellac and used 0000 steel wool. Fits and works great.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You can make PSA discs pretty much any size you want by cutting discs out of sheet material and using spray PSA adhesive.

I have no opinion how big you should make the discs tho.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I buy 12" sanding discs from Lee Valley. I attach them to a 12" plywood disc and use a 3" face plate to mount it to my lathe. I bought the face plate for that purpose.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You may want to consider these. I am in the process (sometime) of using two to the 12" (14") for sanding disc at my old tube lathe and one as the backing for a donut chuck (16") at my Nova.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/alumweb.htm
Seems to me the weight may be an issue for prolonged starts and stops. I just use plywood or mdf for all my compression chucks.

For my lathe which is old and worn out I would use mdf for the sanding disc. That way I could true it up as needed. I am glad this was posted, I'm planning on a new lathe this year and a large disc would be a perfect use for the old lathe.