tub removal
I have a 60" garden tub in the master bath. I would like to remove it and put in a "free standing" tub. (not sure what it is really called) how would I go about removing the old one. Not worried about piping as it is all accessible from unfinished basement. Could I just cut it into pieces and remove the pieces? what would I cut it with?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

Cast iron ones I bash up with a sledge. Plastic just cut it up with a sawsall and put it on the curb trash day.
Robert Adams said:

Cast iron ones I bash up with a sledge. Plastic just cut it up with a sawsall and put it on the curb trash day.

Yup! Remember safety glasses!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Yep
This is the one place the DIY shows get it right. Cut it, smash it, bash it !
Just get it out.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
I took our hall bath tub out today. Original fiberglass shower/tub unit installed in 1990. I bought the harbor freight variable reciprocating saw for this purpose. We're renovating so I'm cutting out studs too. I also picked up a pack of blades for $8.99. I wouldn't trust the blades for cutting through nails but they did fine with the fiberglass. I used the black blades on the tub. The saw is even better if you can scrounge up a 20% coupon.

I've taken out tubs with a sledge hammer... not a pleasant day.
Good point t about the blades. In fact use the cheap blades because the fiberglass is going to ruin any blade as soon as it hits the glass fiber.
If cast don't forgot ear protection
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob10 said:

If cast don't forgot ear protection

And a couple of old towels or blankets to cover and prevent sharp shards from flying.

Eye Protection is an absolute must too.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
As you use that sledge, keep in mind that the wall on the other side is probably plaster. When you hit the sledge against the tub edge that is next to the studs, you may break up the plaster on the other side.
I paid to have ours removed, and the guy choose to get help and remove it in one piece. When I asked he said there's usually so much damage to the room when you break it up it's easier to go one piece. Not suggesting you do that, just saying plan ahead.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.