Chest on stand
I have always wanted to build a Krenov-style chest on stand and as part of my overall plan to get rid of all the cheap bedroom furniture I have, I went for this jewelry cabinet for my wife. Took me longer than I care to admit do to many starts and stops. Primary woods are cherry, white oak and maple. Drawers are also maple and the pulls are wenge. I bought some really nice thick QS white oak veneers to use on the carcass back and sides and the doors. I fought with the stupid knife hinges to a stalemate and gave up. The finish is BLO with several coats of wiping varnish and wax. Apologies for the dark pictures, this corner of the room is several lacking natural light. The pictures also make the cherry seem much redder than it is in reality.

Comments and critiques are welcome -

Cheers -

Beautiful choice of woods. Nice clean design. Well worth the effort and I bet the recipient is very pleased!
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
I really like the veneered case. All very nice.
Well Done!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Beautiful.
Very nice! Are you sure the carcass veneer is QS white oak? No ray flecks. Sure looks like something else. Teak maybe?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It is a winner. I think the WO is rift sawn. The wood differences are beautifully understated. Ken
Nicely done. I really like the uniform grain of the case. What type of door catch did you use?

Johnet
I agree, very nice. I wouldn't have thought WO and cherry would have looked good together, but they do indeed. I agree with Ken, too, it looks like rift sawn WO. QS almost always has ray flecks. RS has that tight parallel grain structure you see. In any case, it looks great.

John
Allan and John - you are both correct. I misspoke (miss-typed?), the white oak is in fact, rift sawn. I specifically ordered the WO veneer rift sawn because I didn't want the ray flecks. I wanted the straight, vertical "lines" all around the case. I was able to get it at 1/16" so I felt more comfortable leaving the veneered edges of the doors and case sides without edge-banding.