Do blood thinners and woodworking mix
MeanGene said:

PS - I just found out bloodwood is an actual specie, not the wood I bled on and passed off as a design enhancement!

That's the main problem with taking blood thinners...staining that beautiful wood red!
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
Ken sounds like life says you need the thinners. Absolutely no reason to quit woodworking though. Millions of people are on them who do activities if they were really cut up, the thinner would lead to increased flow, however for those not on thinners the same injuries would also prove problematic.

IOW a splinter isn't going to be an ambulance ride. Cutting off a few fingers,yep.

If you have all 10 still attached after any number of years of woodworking you will likely remain safe. Most injuries come from Noobs, or oldies who are complacent, or always were careless, and time just caught up with them. Figure where you are in that mix, and go.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
When they say no cycling they may mean like this local trail Bar Trail .

I'm on warfarin for blood clots and unless I an bleeding profusely I don't worry. If I am and can't control it promptly then instead of wait and see it's time for the ER or ambulance
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Since my heart attack 3 years ago I am on blood thinners. I bruse easly and after looking for arrows at the archery range or trimming bushes around the house, it's not unusual for me to be bleeding. Woodworking is the same just have to be careful.
Wonder if I could justify a new Saw Stop!
I'm a 44yo and I need warfarin due to heart valves (pulmonic and aortic mechanical ones) to keep my INR at 2.5-3.5 (blood clot fold change time). This is a very high amount of anticoagulation.

I do not care at all about peripheral bleeds. they happen. no big deal. couple winds of tape and i'm on my way.

I also am an avid bicyclist and know if i hit my head, it's a different story.

for anything, the closer the injury is to my brain, or my core, then i gotta be on it. a nick from a blade on my hand is not a problem though.

carry on....woodwork with abandon friend. make it count.

-Adam of Oakland, CA
Ken,
Sorry you have to deal with this issue. I was going to suggest you have some CA based liquid bandage on hand. Googling that I came across this, which says is good for people on blood thinners:
WoundSeal

Also, YMMV but I've drawn more blood when I started using hand tools. often when planing or chiseling out waste I look down and see blood. not from the tool edge but from a sharp wood corner. So far no major power tool accident for me (knock wood) because I am more cautious with power then hand tools. If you are the same you may need to rethink how you use hand tools or wear a protective glove layer.
Gabe
Of course but be careful first. Then as a precaution I keep both bandages and first aid kits in my shop and truck. Also my shop is about a hundred yards from home so I always keep my phone handy and with me in the truck.
Southern ILlinois
I have A Fib and I have had it for a long time, and I have been on blood thinners for just

as long, Than I developed a problem with nose bleeds. My Cardiologist said that the nose

bleed problem was caused by the blood thinners.

I needed the thinner for the A fib but it caused the nose bleeds

I asked him what the next move would be?

He said that there was a new device called a "Watchman", that would solve the problem.

I had it installed last year and now I take no blood thinners and I am protected from

blood clots by the Watchman, something that the blood thinner used to do.

http://www.bostonscientific.com/en-US/pr...evice.html
To help you.;
I am a 68 year old woodworker who has had some "rust"
I take Zetia, Plavix and the 82 mg asprin
I go to a fitness center about 3 x a week.
I had a quadruple bypass a year ago Oct.
The following Jan. I was back on the ski slopes.
I took up cycling when the snow melts, about 50-60 miles a week.
The smell of red oak just cut on my table saw is still a present sweet smell.
I'll be dammed if a blood thinner will slow me down. Just takes longer for the blood to stop when I get a cut from a splinter.
Go for it!
(I was asked to leave cardiac rehab, as they were giving me exercises to slow. My cardiologist smiles when I tell him my adventures. I would rather say "I did it" than be left with "I wish I had" when it gets close to kicking the bucket time.
Thanks Rick and everyone. Rick I have a few years on you but am thankful that I am able to spend several hours in the shop everyday except when I am in Florida in the winter. Come mid-April I'll be back at it with a new dining room table, a couple more rocking chairs and a bathroom vanity cue-ed up for the summer. Ken