Panel thickness question
I decided to do flat panel doors for a set of kitchen cabinets. The stock I have is just over 5/8" thick (after jointing and planing). I plan on using a rail and stile router set and I believe the groove it makes is 3/8" (maybe 1/4"). Is there any downside to just rabbeting the the panel stock to fit the groove instead of planing everything down to the groove thickness?

2nd how wide of a rabbet (with respect to the groove) should I make the rabbet for expansion. I believe the groove is 3/8" deep. Should I make the rabbets 1/2", 5/8", etc wide?

3rd I'm using space balls. When sizing the panels how much do you allow for the compression of them. If say they were 1/4" in diameter (I don't recall the exact size) do make the panel exactly 1/2" smaller than full width ?
spaceballs: with solid wood panels under 24" wide I make the panel 5/16" narrower than the total width of the rails when measured stub tenon to stub tenon.

Rabbeting the stock is fine. I prefer to rabbet and bevel the raised section but either works. I generally make the rabbet 1/2" to the edge for movement in 3/8" deep grooves

On the back if you want the protrusion to be less move the grooves to the front a bit more than say the center of the rail and stile stock

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks joe. Do you do the rabbet and bevel on the tablesaw or router table?
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
yes...

in your case I would suggest the TS first so you can see if the results are acceptable.

if not remove most of the waste in the TS and clean them up on a Router table
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

spaceballs: with solid wood panels under 24" wide I make the panel 5/16" narrower than the total width of the rails when measured stub tenon to stub tenon.

Joe

Screen spline. http://www.lowes.com/Windows/Window-Scre...0zvkc/pl#!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

Joe

[/blockquote]

odd I could have sworn the OP asked about spaceballs.

JGrout said:

[blockquote]MichaelMouse said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

Joe

[/blockquote]

odd I could have sworn the OP asked about spaceballs.

[/blockquote]

Recommendations. What a forum is for. Easy, inexpensive, instantly available items that do the same job should always be considered. Snobbery has a price.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Quote:

Snobbery has a price.

so does substandard materials

spline linked is flat making it inappropriate for the application

You fit the panel according to how you expect wood to expand or contract after assembly.

If expand you can make the rabbet edge about 1/16" wider (7/16 to 1/2) or if contract just make them tight. Leave the lip on the backside of the door. 3/8 is a rather wide groove 1/4 is adequate.

I've never seen the need for spaceballs. If you finish the panel before installation you need not worry about uneven wood movement.

If you're relying on them to eliminate chatter, that is a function of how tight they fit in the groove they won't help with that.