Cracked Box Design
I'd some requests for these patterns and didn't want to hijack another thread so I thought I'd post them here. All credit goes to "Brian in Dawson Creek" from another board who gave them to me and tutored me on building them. Sadly I can't locate him anymore but we'd shared these publicly before so I doubt he'd mind.

One of Brians

and one of mine
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Thanks for sharing Gary. I may steal that plan...
BTW, Brian forgot to crack those two on the left.
Wow! Not only is the design way cool, the wood you used is even nicer. Great combination, that is some beautiful work!
Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
Thanks Gary

I wonder if it would be boring with plain wood, almost looks like it screams crazy wood

That is a laminated block, yes?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Thanks Gary

I wonder if it would be boring with plain wood, almost looks like it screams crazy wood

That is a laminated block, yes?

Usually yes but I've a walnut log that I've been thinking about trying it from one piece
I built one of those boxes a while ago, it is a pretty cool design. Funny Steve should wonder about it being boring with blander wood. I've actually got a second box half finished sitting in my shop out of a hunk of maple - and yeah, it is a little dull looking. I built it sort of as a test project when I put a riser on my band saw and then lost interest.
Anyone have ideas on an exciting finish for soft maple? The other thing worth noting is there are a whole lot of knobs on this box, if you don't make your own they can get a little pricey!
Lee Valley 01A0513 - not cheap but very nice.
Here's one that I did a couple of years ago.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
Those look so cool guys! Good work.

http://www.straightlinedesigns.com/cracked.html
Here is the originator of the cracked box design.