Master Bath Remodel
Been thinking about a master bath remodel. We have a small shower and a jetted tub. We never use the jetted tub and would like to pull that out and put in a larger walk-in shower and pull out the current shower and add that space to the walk-in closet on the otherside of the wall.

We have also been considering purchasing another home with some features that we dont have with the current home. If we purchase, that will be several months, if not a year down the road.

If I replace the jetted tub with a walk in shower, it will make the master bath much more enjoyable, at least for me and the wife. Gennerally speaking, will it add to or detract from the home value? There is another full bath on the same floor.

I feel that I could remove the tub, replace it with a pan and tile up the walls. I would probably hire professionals for the plumbing and glass door.

What are some of the more difficult challenges with what I am considering?
I don't think you will impact resale by removing the tub from the master, if you have another tub in the house.

Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Scoony said:

If I replace the jetted tub with a walk in shower, it will make the master bath much more enjoyable, at least for me and the wife.

Just don't make it weird.... We looked at a house that had a multiple user shower in the middle of the master bedroom. It was all clear glass.

While I didn't object to it, it did seem weird. My wife was totally against it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Completely gutted my bathroom, threw the tub to the curb. Got a great deal on a three piece 5' walk in shower with seat and hand rails. More than happy with it and don't miss the tub, which was never used.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Agree that shower only won't detract from the resale, especially if you make it a really nice shower.

I'd go the extra effort and do the plumbing too. Plumbing is easy if you got the thing gutted.

Buy a Vigo frameless glass door assembly and install it yourself.

I would go all-in and do a mud floor, Kerdi membrane, and travertine tile. Add some wall niches and a foot rest.

It would look something like this when done...

I guess you are looking at 3 ft x 5 ft, but Vigo has glass for that too.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Same thing here. One year ago got rid of the jetted tub, where the small shower was I put in a seated vanity table an mirror. I now have a seven foot shower. We put a 60 inch high tile wall, that runs the length of the shower less the opening at the end opposite the shower head. No glass to clean. In addition because I am disabled we dropped the structural floor so there is no step up into the shower. Best thing I ever did
mbw said:

In addition because I am disabled we dropped the structural floor so there is no step up into the shower. Best thing I ever did

I would have done that if I weren't sitting on I-joists. I don't need it now, but its a good look and even better if one needs it.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Great thread. The house we bought had the property we liked but not the house we liked. We're taking the 4th bedroom wall down to expand the master bath and master bedroom, do a nice tile shower and add a soaking/jetted tub. I figure the tub will be a selling point when we move..... more to the point, she wants the tub. This will be my second tile shower, I hope this one goes in faster.
If you're thinking walk-in shower, would you also make it so it could handicapped accessible? Meaning: entry point wide enough with no lip to get something like a chair over?

You might actually add value if you do that, as long as there's another tub in the house.

There was a jetted tub and separate shower in the master bath of the house we moved into two years ago. We opted to pull the jetted tub and turn that space into a closet.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
The area is 5 x 3. I would be installing nice tiles. I do not like the look of those granite looking solid panels we saw at a recent home improvement show. There is a small arched window that I would want to keep and incorporate into the upgrade.

Nice thing is, we have the small shower to use while I would be working on the other.