Ridgid JP0610 Jointer
I'm finally ready to get my own jointer rather than buying shop time, and this seems like a good starting point.

I am confused about this jointer though. It has great reviews and everything. But people also seem to say that the design changed a few years ago (some confusion about it being discontinued when it wasn't). Also, the price was in the $300-$400 range new (or so it seems) whereas now it's $600.

What gives? Should I wait for a sale? Is it a sturdier machine now? Does anybody know?
The original version all gray in color, was supposedly a better unit, with an Emerson motor. If the newer model is $600 IMHO that's to much. Mine was $350, about 10 years ago, and has never blinked.
Mark
Quote:

What gives? Should I wait for a sale? Is it a sturdier machine now? Does anybody know?

Well I do know that is too much money for that jointer.

look on the used market if you can be patient you will find a comparable unit for a whole lost less than 600
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The equivalent Grizzly jointer (G0452) is about the same cost ($565 w/out freight), so the cost isn't out of line with what else is out there new. I have the Ridgid JP0610. Mine was purchased 10 years ago and it has always done well, even after 2 cross-country moves). The cost of things made in China has risen quite dramatically in the last 5 years or so. I'm certain I didn't pay more than $350 for mine new. I purchased my Powermatic PM2000 TS with 52" rails in 2008 for $2200 delivered. Can't touch a new one now for less than $3000.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The grey ridgid was the made by Emerson tools and the orange was the switch to tti. Also the grey ones were lifetime warranty. I have the grey planer that needs a new platen but never tried to warranty it.

It's a good jointer also the craftsman jointer is a little better machine. Not sure what it runs now for if they have changed it. It had the pole mounted switch etc.
I bought mine for $225 (the orange one) new from HD when it was on clearance. I have never had any issues and have run a bunch of wood across it. If you can find one Craigslist, buy it. Providing it is reasonably priced. Of course, any of the other major brands are equally as good or better. Keep searching Craigslist, expand the search area. You'll be happy at some point.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Jointers are pretty basic machines. You should be able to find a good deal on a 6 inch jointers as many ww upgrade to 8 inch machines.
As was mentioned by others, jointers are pretty basic machines, and I too recommend checking out the used market through Craigslist, local ads, etc. The only other decision is whether you want standard knives or a carbide cutterhead. Many here, including me, went with traditional knives on their first unit (6" typical) and then chose the carbide cutterhead option when upgrading to the 8" model.

Good luck,

Doug
Me too. It's been a great little jointer and the knives are pretty good too.
War Eagle!
I also have the orange model. They old grey one probably was made by a different manufacturer BUT I have never seen a single valid, real world example showing the grey one was superior in any way ( except the 3 year warranty ).

Years ago, Home Depot cleared out the grey ones for ridiculous prices just to get them out of the stores. Thats when the grey one became the talk of the town. Not because it was superior but rather becaus it was 1/2 off.

A few years later they started putting the orange one on sale and had a rebate that was stackable and a bunch more people got on board between $325-350. And at that price it was still the value leader and a very good piece of equipment.

Then .... the stores cleared out the orange ones at bargain prices. The base price was around $400 for a long time. When the stores stopped holding inventory and it became a web item, the price ramped up. I had no idea it had gotten this high.

I haven't kept up with pricing but $600 + tax for a 6" unit looks kinda steep to me. At that price I would just wait patiently for pre-owned 8".