Drunken cutting board design used for a keepsake box top
In another post I detailed my experience making my first end grain cutting board. Following that, I decided to make a drunken cheese cutting board. Using dimensions from memory, I made the board a half inch too narrow for the slicing wire kit I use. Not really a big deal since it was really a practice piece but I thought the board(s) looked too cool to just pitch. So, I decided make a keepsake box – another first for me. I used cherry and maple on the top with cherry sides and bottom. I think the sapwood offers a nice design feature. The miter splines are also maple and another first for me. Not sure what to do with it or who will eventually get this as I still have to put on a finish coat but I think it is kinda cool!

Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
I'm dizzy...........

Nice box Gene
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
That's as whacky as I could take. But you sure do a nice job.
meanGene
I love it way cool
Would you post a picture of the drunken cheese board, please.
I would never, nor could ever, present myself as an expert. So please forgive me for suggesting the dark wood looks a LOT more like walnut than cherry.

Whatever the wood...it looks great! In-fact I like your use better than in a cheese or cutting board.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill Holt said:

I would never, nor could ever, present myself as an expert. So please forgive me for suggesting the dark wood looks a LOT more like walnut than cherry.

I'm no expert either Bill. It could be walnut but the retired woodworker I bought it from sold it as Cherry and when I joint it the grain and color are not similar to any walnut I have. I am in Colorado for 5 weeks but when I return I'll have my local sawyer identify it just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm retired but still learning!
Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
Sawdustd said:

Would you post a picture of the drunken cheese board, please.

I never got to the cheese board, Sawdustd, still on the todo list. Design will be similar to the following. I posted additional pictures in a post just before Christmas.

Oh, that's a lot safer than what I thought you had in mind.
I thought you meant making a cutting board while ... oh, never mind

Beautiful work!
Ray
That's great looking work but it's definitely walnut rather than Cherry.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.