Delta 50-760 - Part 2
Havin a BAD hair day. The dust collector ran for 20 minutes while turning a spindle this morning. Mounted an new spindle, flipped the switch and the motor didn't start. Recleaned the contacts on the centrifigal switch and flipped the switch. the motor spun a couple of times and then stopped. Repeated flipping the switch 5 times. Nothing. NO sound.

Whats the next step in trouble shooting? How do I check the windings, start capacitor and run capacitor? Standing by.

Dave
Check the on/off switch itself. They tend to be undersized on these small machines (IMO), like the '2 hp HFDC', which is known to eat on/off switches. And running on 120V, there's a really big wallop of current when it closes, and another when you open it (inductive loads don't like having the power disconnected).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tom - Its a 220v switch which I bought new when I converted to 220. I'll recheck the switch.

The new news is that the motor is running again. I let the motor set for 30 minutes and just for grins tried again. Sounds like a short somewhere after the motor heats up/ runs for a while. The motor doesn't stop once its running. It just won't restart.
No electrician here, but is there a start capacitor on the motor?

Doug
Since it's dual-voltage, there are several connections inside the terminal box on the motor. A break at any of them will deaden the motor when configured for 240V. So I'd start by checking those connections.

Capacitors (start, or start and run) are in parallel with the windings, so if any or both are bad, the motor will still hum but may not start.

It's sounding like there's a break in continuity somewhere, but it may be internal. So I would start with what you can check, and hope it's not deep inside somewhere.

By any chance, does it have a thermal overload device with reset button (or without - nameplate should indicate that)?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"