Glad I hate laminate floors
Not only butt ugly, fake, cheep looking. They also can cause cancer. At least laminate from Lumber Liquidators.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
1. There are laminate floors that look quite good.
2. The problem with the Lumber Liquidators' flooring was the amount of the chemicals in the flooring, not that it contained any. I'd be surprised if the finishes on wood flooring don't contain any cancer-causing agents.
3. Like any flooring material, there are advantages and disadvantages to laminate.

I'm glad you don't like them either, is someone forcing you to install laminate in your home?
Pirate said:

Not only butt ugly, fake, cheep looking. They also can cause cancer. At least laminate from Lumber Liquidators.

You need your coffee this morning.
Wow that's old news and really not a big deal. In California everything is known to cause cancer. I'll bet they even have a prop 65 warning on the water meter to a house.

Also funny as formaldehyde glue is often used by woodworkers...

As to the laminate there is cheap stuff and there is allot out there that looks very very good and not too expensive. In fact we were looking at some last night and the laminates were better looking than the real wood flooring. Also most laminates tend to be more durable than engineered or solid.

I was in a hotel once and it had some very nice vinyl that was very hard to tell from real wood.
I love laminate floors, and will be (gladly) trading our hardwood floors for laminate in the next few months (moving). That said, I don't like Bob Vila...and I can't help but wonder how much of the nasty stuff he has in his house.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Wonder if PBS will pull them as a sponsor for their "This Old House" series.
I understand why people like laminate floors. The higher end floors are fairly nice but at that price, you could do real wood. I don't like the simulated wood look of laminate. Looks like plastic to me. I put them in the kitchen and the patio in the old house but replaced them because the dogs kept sliding around on them. One dog wouldn't walk on it. The house we're in now has bamboo floors.... I like them even less. They remind me of walking in a mobile home. I don't hate laminate floors but I don't want them in my house. I would consider an engineered veneer but I think I'd still prefer solid wood. I can refinish solid wood and it feels solid.
Laminate floors can have their place, but there are much better alternatives available.

I've installed laminate in a DIY basement project. I've installed resilient vinyl plank in DIY bathroom applications and will be installing it in a basement DIY project. I've had engineered hardwoods installed in main living areas (both floating and glued down). I've also had true hardwood installed in main living area applications.

The laminate was my least favorite for look/feel after being done. Longevity was good; it was still in place in the basement and had no issues 8 years after installation. But it always felt like a cheap floor.

The vinyl plank is my first choice for DIY flooring, but it's best in high-moisture areas, in my view. Easy install and looks decent, as long as you make sure it has micro-bevel edges.

Engineered hardwoods installed quickly, but had the least durability. The finish seemed to be easily damaged, and any water spillage had to be cleaned up pronto. Stained easily, too.

For looks, can't beat a traditional hardwood installation. We had scraped hickory installed in the house last Spring. We get loads of compliments on it. It feels good underfoot.

We also had resilient vinyl tile installed in the kitchen last year. Looks like stone, doesn't get cold in the winter, and is grouted like real stone tile. It also is easy to clean.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I've put down engineered hardwood three times, glue down solid once (and never again!), laminate twice. One of the laminate installs was in the house we sold in 2011, so don't know how that's fared, but the laminate I put in the master bedroom in the new house (2011) has held up well to dogs and looks as good as new to my eye. Has a bit of texture that makes it look less fakey. If I'd had my way, I would have put the same thing in the other bedrooms we did late last year (one solid, one engineered).
I don't like laminate either- at least the less expensive material. However, fake is not what I would describe it. It certainly isn't real wood in the sense and obviously anyone with decent eyesight could never confuse the two, bringing us to the conclusion that it may be the makers target to deceive, but the eye says it is just another design "look alike".

Of all the choices other than real wood or tile or laminate, I do like the better vinyl mixed with throw carpets and those comfy little pillows on the couch, lighted with the warm glow from a lamp (without a fake light bulb).