Powermatic 2700 shaper spindle bearing replacement?
Anyone here done this? Obviously i will also be calling Powermatic to see if they have a service guide but wanted to see if anyone else has done a spindle bearing replacement on the 2700 series shapers.

All of a sudden the shaper started vibrating intermittently...smooth for 5 seconds then vibrates for 5 seconds then smmoth then vibrate. Spindle has noticeable play just by grabbing spindle back and forth with my hand.

Everything seems tight.

Arrgh

Or if anyone know of any info out there about this....I cant find any.

I assume you have checked to make sure the drawbar is seated tight to the spindle? I had mine come slightly loose a few years ago while it was turning a big cutter. I regularly double check it now days.

I would check to make sure nothing has come loose before tackling the bearing replacement.

My manual shows two bearings, one top and one bottom. The bearing part number is BB-6008VV and is available for $72.40 each through the Powermatic site. They only list one as being in stock. Not sure why it is so expensive.
I would remove the cutter, spindle and drawbar and then run it to see if it still has the intermitted vibration, just to see.
I removed drawbar and spindle...they were tight. The spindle housing was tight around the quill. The spindle holder still has play when i grab it back and forth seems like about 1/64".

Maybe some dust or chips inbetween the quill and the spindle holder?
Maybe take it apart and blow it out?

To take it apart i just need to know how the spindle lock assembly needs to be disassembled. Im guessing just use a wrench on the connector part # 37 and unscrew it? Then loosen the spindle housing and drop everything out the bottom.?

Wondering if it is the Part 10 spindle holder that is loose because the bearings are going bad or if it is the Part 12 Quill that is loose because the Part 36 socket head cap screw is loose?

Also, you checked to make sure the Part 16 nut on the bottom was snug?

It might be worth it to remove the top nut Part 5 to see if the four Part 7 button head socket screws are still tight..
There could be several causes of that symptom.

Loose or wallowing aluminum pulley. (most common)
Wallowed area inside the quill that houses the bearing's outer race. (3nd most common)
Bearing may be going bad. (second most common)
Bearing already went bad and is working on the shaft. (least common because there are lots of warning sounds before failure)
Isn't the warranty on that shaper 5 years? I thought you got that machine in the last couple years.

How big a cutter do you use on that machine?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

RE The bearing: Hard for me to believe that the bearing is single sourced. I would try to find a replacement from a reputable company before I sprung for the $72. Good Luck, let us know how you make out...Tom
YSU65 said:

RE The bearing: Hard for me to believe that the bearing is single sourced. I would try to find a replacement from a reputable company before I sprung for the $72. Good Luck, let us know how you make out...Tom

A quick search shows it to be available for +/- $50 from several sources.