Sometimes It's the Little Things
Friend approached my husband (geologist), asking where she could get an "earth magnet" to test jewelry at auctions. She had just been told about these marvelous exotic beasts. I told her I have a stack of them in the shop and I'd be glad to give her one. "But aren't they expensive? I'll be glad to pay you!" "No, I'll bring you one tomorrow."

Then I thought: a bare rare earth magnet is a pain in the butt. She needs something better. So I went to the shop, picked up the first scrap of nice wood I saw, and in just a few minutes made her this. I have a whole bag of cups that came with my first magnet purchase. I think this is only the second time I've used one.

This is the most satisfying part of woodworking to me. I need a piece of wood this big shaped like this, so I go make it. Can't wait to give it to her at lunch.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Very nice.

What is it that the rare earth magnet tells you about jewelry?
I know only what she told us, that she's testing gold jewelry to make sure it's real.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Well done. I had the same question about why, oh well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
MsNomer said:

I know only what she told us, that she's testing gold jewelry to make sure it's real.

And if it isn't she can whack 'em with this. Multi-purpose tool!
stav said:

Very nice.

What is it that the rare earth magnet tells you about jewelry?

It tells you if it's gold plated over steel. Unfortunately, it can be gold plated over brass and the magnet won't tell you diddly squat. My wedding ring is a cobalt alloy. Cobalt is normally magnetic, but there are enough alloying elements in my ring that it's not magnetic. Coin collectors also use magnets to ferret out fake rare coins, which are often silver plate over a steel blank.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

My wedding ring is a cobalt alloy. Cobalt is normally magnetic, but there are enough alloying elements in my ring that it's not magnetic.

Mine too!
Benny

Nice. A stack of two or three of those magnets make a great stud finder but I am always dropping them and when they hit the floor the one that hits first usually cracks. Might have to adapt your idea...
Warn her off from using that in the NE states. Something about burning people at the stake, and confusion about things scientific
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW