power switch location? Left or Right?
Putting the finishing touches on my 80's vintage VEGA lathe.

All the lathes I've worked with before have had the switch near the headstock but last night I was watching a woodturning video and noticed the switch was on the right.

Makes sense to me -- if you're turning a bowl, etc and things go wrong the last place I'd want to stick my hand is down near the spinning part.

Anyone else have a "right-hand" switch location???
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I don't. Some of the Oneway lathes have a switch that is on a "swing" pole so it can be conveniently positioned.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Are you right handed or left? Put it where it's good for you.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I have mine in a box with a 4' cord. Move it where I want.
Putting the switch on the headstock is just easier from a manufacturing perspective. Nearest the motor. It does, as you say, force you to reach across the workpiece to switch the lathe on or off. If you had a poorly chucked, unbalanced piece, that could get a bit dicey. I have a remote for my Nova DVR-XP that allows me to control my motor from the right side (or anywhere for that matter - it's wireless). If safety is high on your list of concerns, switch on the right is the way to go.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
PhilJoines said:

I have mine in a box with a 4' cord. Move it where I want.

Me too. Mostly it stays behind the tailstock, on a magnetic bar. Even if you're unable to move the controls themselves, put a "kill" switch somewhere you won't have to commit into the throw zone.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I added a kill switch at the right end of the lathe (large paddle to slap) if the need arises.
On my Nova I can't use it as standard on/off because the motor resets to off if power is lost.
For a kill switch it works fine.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-220V...itch/H8243
Well, mine has always been on the headstock or right under it. With my Beauty, I can put it on the bed which is too low. I can put it on the tailstock, but then the wire is in the way. If I do need an emergency stop, since my tool is held in my right hand, I don't have to transfer the tool to the other hand to turn off the lathe. Only had one occasion to do a quick stop, and the piece had come totally off the lathe, so reaching across the line of fire was a non issue. I do find it interesting that so many worry about having to reach across the line of fire, but have no trouble standing in the line of fire when turning...

Any one have stories about emergency stops?

robo hippy
robo hippy said:

I do find it interesting that so many worry about having to reach across the line of fire, but have no trouble standing in the line of fire when turning...

Any one have stories about emergency stops?

robo hippy

Who does that? Haven't seen any in this thread admitting it. Extremely foolish and unnecessary to stand in the zone when turning, and even more so to stand there when turning the machine on.

Yellow birch, turning bark on, bark up, when it detached and started whipping my knuckles. Had I not stopped emergency, it could have taken the hide off my hands or flung a piece behind my eye protection as I leaned to the headstock.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Turners in the club I go to do it all the time. We tell them to move off to the side and then a few minutes later they are right back to the same o same o. I guess they will have to learn the hard way sometime.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.