The Big Ugly Tool
I have talked a lot about this tool, now finally have a video showing how to make one. I will do another clip eventually featuring a friend who is a master with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orV-Oi5UsSo

robo hippy
Ha, I already caught it! Interesting procedure and looks like a useful tool. You like that better than a Thompson or D-way scraper? Use them in different scenarios?

Doug
Any chance these could be made for sale?
I consider this tool to be excellent for heavy roughing, but not as good for fine finish shear scraping.

As far as making them for sale, I don't know. They would be expensive, 1 inch one would be in the $100 range unhandled. Traditionally it is a DIY tool. 6 inch long, 1 inch wide piece of tantung is about $55. The silver solder tape/ribbon comes in 36 inch strips, and is in the $1 per inch. A welding shop may be able to do it for you. This is part of why I think it would make a good club activity. In the group, you probably have all the skills.

robo hippy
When I search McMaster Carr it comes up as Ultra-Hard Tungsten Carbide with a hardness of Rockwell C79. $67.50 for a piece 1/8" x 1" x 6" in size. Seems like a pretty cool DIY project.

Doug
Reed:

I'm sure you don't remember, but a few years ago I badgered you into selling me some of that metal. (Thanks again)  I made a couple of scrapers with it.  I have no welding or brazing equipment or experience, so I used JB Weld. I was initially nervous about using them, but they have held together ever since.
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw
I did one with JB weld, and it eventually failed. I think it may have been dropped. I had tried JB weld for new tips on the McNaughton coring blades, and none of them held up. The CBN grinding wheels do not like the JB weld either. 

The Tantung is made by VR Wesson company in Florida, and they are the only ones that make this metal. They cast it into 6 inch graphite cubes, then cut to size. 1 inch by 1/8 thick by 3 inches long is over $45 if you buy singles. 

I do prefer the tantung scrapers for heavy roughing. On some harder woods, especially if they are dry, it does an excellent job with shear scraping as well. On softer wet woods, it doesn't. Funny thing about it is that it doesn't seem to matter how I sharpen the burr on it, 80 to 1000 grit CBN wheels or burnishing, I get the same burr. With the HSS or V10, 80 grit gives a good roughing burr, and pretty good shear scraping burr. With the 600 or 1000 grit wheels, I get an excellent shear scraping burr, but not so good roughing burr. 

I really don't see any need for any scraper over 1 1/4 inch wide by 3/8 thick. My favorite Big Ugly is the 1 inch wide one.

robo hippy