Putting Copper Caps on Redwood 4x4's--Adhesive or Screws or Both
I have several redwood 4x4's that need to be capped. Wife ordered solid copper pyramid caps but I am wondering whether I should seal them on the post with adhesive or just screw them on. I know that silicone is not friendly with copper but there are other adhesive options that I can use.

The question is whether the end grain will be better off by being sealed up or open so any condensation under the cap can dry out more easily. I am concerned especially because redwood is so sensitive to discoloration.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,

David
My first choice would be a few dabs of Loctite PL Premium Construction Adhesive.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
silicone just a little to hold it on no further attachments
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Copper nails would look better than screws.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

Copper nails would look better than screws.

Mel

I agree. There is almost no shear or tensile stress on the caps. A single nail will hold it in place with no problem unless someone goes at it with a pry bar.

These nails will look outstanding in that application: http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/fst-dec.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If the raw copper is left to weather, all methods will do. With use of any mechanical fastener you will always run the risk of deformation of the copper and create a blemish. If a polished and lacquered finish is required or a blemish free installation is of upmost importance, the adhesive is the best choice. Any drilled hole to allow for a mechanical fastener will create finish problems.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Woodenfish said:

If the raw copper is left to weather, all methods will do. With use of any mechanical fastener you will always run the risk of deformation of the copper and create a blemish. If a polished and lacquered finish is required or a blemish free installation is of upmost importance, the adhesive is the best choice. Any drilled hole to allow for a mechanical fastener will create finish problems.

Are these caps normally lacquered? Then as the lacquer wears or flakes off you will get spots of green. I'd sooner take some 00000 steel wool to them and remove all the lacquer and let it go all green like the Statue of Liberty. Very patriotic.

Seriously with natural redwood posts I would let the copper tops oxidize.

https://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/i...iberty.jpg
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used construction adhesive 15 years ago - holding strong.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Nails come loose over time; screws can bugger up the copper cap, I like silicone or the construction adhesive of your choice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Mine are attached with construction adhesive. Eleven years have gone by without a problem.
Howie.........