Shop time with my niece
I always envy the guys who post pictures and stories of spending time in the shop with their young children. I have 2 grown girls and neither one ever willingly spent much time in my shop.

Well the other day, I get a request from my college age niece, asking for my help. She's taking an elective class in school on guitar building. She thought it would be something fun and wasn't quite prepared for all the work it required. The guitar is a wooden body electric, from a kit, not an acoustic, so the woodworking isn't terribly difficult, but my niece hasn't even touched a piece of sandpaper since Jr High Woodshop.

Anyway, she's determined to finish this project, but she needed to work on it outside of class, since she has fallen far behind schedule (she said it seems she's the only one in the class who hasn't done this before). She asked if she could use my shop for an hour or so Wednesday evening. No problem, says I. She brought the body with binding attached to the outer edge. She needed to scrape/plane it down smooth & flush and fill in a few small gaps with melted plastic, then do some sanding. I helped her, using a low angle block plane on the binding. She did most everything else. She'll be bringing it out again in the next week or so to work on it some more. It was fun and nice spending time with her. Now I know why you guys like to gloat about your kids working in the shop with you.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Congrats!

Sounds like a fun time for all involved

-Brian
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")

Love these stories!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
That's awesome!

I have learned a lot about woodworking by trying to teach others to do it. Your niece probably feels like she's getting a lot out of the shop time with you, but it sounds like you're getting even more.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Well, this will likely be the first and last WW'ing project she does, so I'll have to relish the opportunity.

I do have 2 young grandson's (2 & 6), so there is hope for the future.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
How about posting some pics?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Plus 2 on the photos , not just for us but you will have a memory item forever . Gary