Shop time with my niece
dso awesome and definately some photos!
prolly be a great time to talk woodworking and the different aspects of it,too.
hopefully when she sees the final piece-all completed and finished- it will inspire her to do more.
and please let her know your shops always open for her.
Family time in the shop in great. My daughter works in the shop with me so I understand what you mean. Time spent with my nephew helping him turn a pen was very special too.

Take pics to remember the moments.
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
It's great when you can do this. My son and I spent a lot of time together. None of my daughters liked the shop. I tried to get the artist to do lathe work but she was afraid so I didn't push her. She has designed some items that I made for her. #3 daughter had to make a part of a wooden ship for a master's class. Luckily she's good sewer and did most of the work on a scroll saw - very similar skills. She's a thousand miles away so I couldn't be there for her. I did do a few videos so it gave her a place to start. Not the same as being there. She got an A on the ship.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Photos of the guitar?!!!
Just an update, but sorry, no pics. I know, I know. Please forgive me.

Last night we focused on sanding. The body and the neck are getting close to being ready for stain/paint & finish. I'm not sure what her finishing schedule is going to be. I don't know if she's sure yet. She mentioned staining/dyeing the back and painting the front.

Anyway, we used a variety of sanders (ROS, OSS and the little triangle shaped sanding attachment on my oscillating multi-tool) followed by a hand sanding with 220 grit. She mentioned something about needing to seal the fret board before installing the frets. She asked me what she should use. I know nothing about luthiery, but my first instinct, not knowing what the finishing schedule will be, was to suggest a light coat of de-waxed shellac. Only thing is, she has some sort of inlays on the fretboard. Not sure what they are made of, but they are white and I presume not wooden. I was concerned that the shellac may alter the color too much, but I told her that many other topcoats could as well. She was going to solicit advice from her instructor, so the final decision is yet to be determined.

By the time we were done for the evening, we were both covered in sawdust. I think she's enjoying the project more now that she's making better progress and has some help. I had a smile on my face for the rest of the evening.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?