Wood bleach
Has anyone used this wood bleach ? A buddy of mine dropped off about 1000 lbs of beautiful fresh holly; up to 18" diameter pieces.

I slabbed out most of the stuff and sprayed citric acid on the surfaces to keep them from growing fungus. The offcuts I left laying around started getting green streaking within two days (MC > 25%) and some grew fungus so fast that within 5 days I could wipe off a dust cloud of it. The rest of the stuff I have stickered with two fans to speed the drying process.

I've seen some holly turnings that have been bleached and was curious how it is done. Are the pieces immersed for a long time or lightly sprayed? Does absorption cause warping of finished pieces?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
That appears to be the same "stuff" (different brand) that I have used, that is hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide

If so, it does work
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I use it on holly all the time. I soak it over night. I am not in a hurry because I try to plan on the use. I then rinse it off and let air dry. Sometimes will have a fan blowing on it. Works very well. Will not get out the grey sap areas though so do not expect that. Will make lighter.
John T.
I am just jealous of all that Holly.

I have never use or had the funds to buy bleach but have seen the fantastic results.
I think Robo Hippy or MM and one other guy here has experience with it also.

Good luck with it you dog you.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
my retired buddy was surfing CL when he saw the ad for the holly tree that was being cut down and left at the side of the road for any one to pick up."Makes great firewood" the ad said.

if only they knew what that stuff is worth. I've been cutting it up for the last two weeks and drying it.
I've use similar on ash. Makes the WOOD dead white. The two solutions are what they use to bleach wood pulp for paper, though permanganate is also used, rather than peroxide. From I've experienced, and from other forums, not a slam dunk on mold or mildew. For that, chlorine bleach may be a better choice.

Finishing Guru Dresdner http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projec...ching-wood
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I just used some today. You mix the two parts together and brush it on with a foam brush. It starts to work pretty quickly but give it the overnight to really see what it does. I've found it takes longer for it to deal with some mineral streaking and spalting - you may need multiple applications for that. For the regular color in wood it works really well.
Thanks. Does the stuff lose its efficacy quickly after it is mixed?
SteveS said:

Thanks. Does the stuff lose its efficacy quickly after it is mixed?

Yes, turns to gel. Mix only a very little at a time
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Spalted and bleached

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning