Over blade guard and Dust colletion-finally built
I just finished and installed an overhead blade guard and dust collection unit. The plans are from Gordon Sampson and were posted here a few years ago. I couldn't be happier. No more saw dust for lunch and a cleaner shop.

Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Looks nice! Question: Is that long section extending out over the outfeed table a handle or just a counterweight?

Thanks,

Doug
Thanks! It's the handle. That being said, I thought about cutting a square plug and filling the tubing with buckshot. It would make a nice counterweight.
Gary

You have a nice set up Gary. Well done.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin!

If you ever get to the cities stop by and I'll give you the $.50 tour......at the special Woodnetter's discount!!!
Gary

Gary what are you doing for a splitter? If you don't have one on there you might want to talk to BacsiBob about a BORK You are sawdust clean, but heavily kickback prone without a splitter/RK.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I will when I see my parents in Superior WS. I also have a few others in and around the twin citys I need to see also.

A
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Steve N said:

Gary what are you doing for a splitter? If you don't have one on there you might want to talk to BacsiBob about a BORK You are sawdust clean, but heavily kickback prone without a splitter/RK.

I can't remember ever using a splitter. Only once did I have kickback trimming a rather large door for a mission style bookcase to length. Had to rebuild it!

That being said, never used a blade guard till now either. A splitter just might be in the cards. I do have the original splitter that's attached to the blade guard that came with the saw. I think I'll modify that.
As I get older I need to think more about safety......my power to avoid injury is diminishing...kind of like my eyesight.
Gary

I use the Micro jig splitters and like them.
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
www.timbershavings.com
Tapper said:

Looks nice! Question: Is that long section extending out over the outfeed table a handle or just a counterweight?
Thanks,
Doug

The long "handle" is actually so a spring can be attached to serve as an adjustable counter weight/lift. I built my overhead guard like this ~21 years ago and I could never get counterweights on the arm to work right. They were always too heavy or too light. Eventually I found a spring with a turnbuckle works great. The holes along the arm are there so that different length springs can be used depending on what your local hardware has available.

I also have a string hanging down with a loop on the end (not shown for some reason) so I can lift the guard up and hold it up ~6" above the saw for those few times I really need to see where the blade is. I hook it on the pin at the front of the vertical piece on the blade guard.

I made my main frame out of wood using some biscuits and it has taken some serious abuse. Looking at the blade side of it one can see all the dings and pings that it has taken over the years. One look makes one glad they have a blade guard.

This design has worked flawlessly for ~21 years. I do need to replace the plexiglass on the right side nearest the fence because it is very chewed up from all the use it gets.