Woodworking item from 1650 still working!
I don't know the details about that particular bass, but usually basses that old have been extensively repaired and modified. At least the ebony fingerboard has been replaced.
The top plates develop cracks and have to be taken off to be patched. One reason the instrument is still in existence is the use of hide glue. This makes it repairable.

Here is a link to a bass from ca. 1580.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB6Y3O6A4Fw
Cool! My daughter said the wooden flute the soloist was playing on Saturday night was another big buck instrument. Tools of the trade are not cheap, whether they be excavators, table saws or musical instruments.

Edit to add I've been on a number of airplane flights where musicians were carrying ther cellos or other instruments and they had a seat bought for the instrument. First time my daughter saw that she thought it was cool.