Repairing soap dish in bath tub. (Picture)
Hello All,

As the picture shows, the soap dish broke off from the wall. Can I take some adhesive and just glue it back on? Or is this a tile redo?

If so, which one? Also, I will have to figure out a way to keep the soap dish tight against the wall while the adhesive dries. I can try and rig up a piece of wood somehow.

Images below... click to enlarge.

I'd look for water damage behind it. Ifno damage I'd try to reattach it. Wedge it against the wall with a 2x while it dries. Make sure its well sealed against water with caulk. It won't last forever, but who wants to tear apart a wall?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

possibly install the metal type that attach like a top mount sink and seal all around
was looking for one when I found this
you need something recessed IMO as the surface mount option would be considerably more work to get done correctly and anything short could result in a mold issue I read this and it isn't clear but then again I haven't had coffee yet.

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I wouldn't use any type of adhesive. They just don't hold up long term in showers. Adhesive in showers is a disaster waiting to happen. Clean up the area. Carefully chip out the old mortar and get it off the soap dish. Use Polymer-Modified thinset and re-set the soap dish. I's probably use a 3/8" notch trowel and butter the prepped area and the back of the soap dish for best adhesion. Press it on and wipe away the excess with a damp sponge (not wet) around the dish if there is any so it doesn't leave the job messy looking. You'll have to find a clever way to keep it on while the thinset sets up. Tape... maybe lean a 2x4 against it or something. When it's set (maybe 2 hours) grout the gap around the soap dish to seal it all up. It's not as hard as it sounds.

As much as I like Bob10... I wouldn't use an inset dish without building a box behind it with tile board and properly sealing the tile board and you really can't do that at this stage of the game. If water gets behind it, you'll be replacing everything.
What is behind the tile. It looks suspiciously like drywall.

If drywall, I'd go with a temporary repair like suggested by Bob10 as you are going to be re-doing the shower shortly anyway. Caulk it like you wouldn't believe.

If hardiboard, mud job or similar, I use a multi-tool with a steel blade and remove all the thinset and grout in the area. Do the same for the soap dish if serviceable. Re-thinset the dish and hold in place with a spring board or similar. grout and be done.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
It does appear to be drywall. You wont be very successful trying to adhere a heavy soapdish to the damaged paper as it is... Give the drywall a coat of BIN or CoverStain first to seal the paper. Then thinset the soapdish back in place. (Powder thinset, dont use the pre-mix crap from the Borgs)

The sealer will keep the moisture in the thinset from bubbling the drywall paper. It's your best shot at keeping it on there for awhile.
Drywall doesnt belong in a wet area and usually winds up disintegrating behind the tile. I'd expect a bath remodel sometime in the near future.
-who?
It looked like drywall to me. I would cut the hole try to mount some type of blocking probably diagonal if possible and screw one of the metal trays. If not use epoxy I don't know of any way to make that wall whole enough to put the old dish back. I am currently redoing 3 baths each required complete tear out and one was exactly like the one in the picture above.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The way they did mine was cleaned up the backwall to get a flat surface and applied liquid nails to the wall and in the holes of the soap dish held it in place with 2x4's left it set till the next day and grouted it in.
In the home improvement shows they now show recesses and not dishes. Basically you cut out between the studs and put in tile for the back and the sides. They use contrasting tiles so you don't need to match the old tiles.

Here are some examples: http://images-37.har.com/e1/mediadisplay...037-25.jpg

http://cwdremodelsandwindows.com/resourc...-shelf.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=soap+dis...essed+soap+dish
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would liquid nails some chicken wire to the back of the sheet rock leaving a pocket so the dish will slide in nicely. Do not have to be too fancy. Then when set slop some thin set in there and and all over the dish. To hold in place just use duct tape. Long strips top to bottom and if you want left to right. Let set then peel the tape. May have to use something to take off some tape residue but works just fine as a clamp.
John T.