Fireplace: how to fix this?
Gents:

How to fix cracks and remove stains in fireplace please? Will get to the overcook grate that you can see in the bottom of the picture later.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Picture?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I can't see a pic either. What kind of stains?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

You can fix the cracks with firebrick cement.I imagine you have a standard firebrick and not insulating brick.Push cement into the cracks and scrape off any excess.You can buy it premixed at any store that sells wood stoves.
As far as cleaning the soot, I do not know.Try a search for it.

mike
Not sure what to use on the stains, perhaps muriatic acid. For the cracks my son used this on his firebox, both to fill cracks and replace some mortar that had fallen out. So far so good after numerous fires. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5T...arch_detailpage
fredhargis said:

Picture?

+1

Why is it cracking?
jgourlay said:

Gents:

How to fix cracks and remove stains in fireplace please? Will get to the overcook grate that you can see in the bottom of the picture later.

Wow...posted...left off the pic, and then left town. Bad me!

WIll fix the pic issue soon.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

bottd said:

Not sure what to use on the stains, perhaps muriatic acid. For the cracks my son used this on his firebox, both to fill cracks and replace some mortar that had fallen out. So far so good after numerous fires. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5T...arch_detailpage

This is my previous answer and you need to ignore it. The mortar the link leads to is for use inside of the firebox and to properly cure needs to reach temperatures that hopefully you will not find outside of the actual firebox.
I'd grind it out with an angle grinder (disc matched to mortar thickness) and repoint.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy