Rust on table saw
Spent a few hours in the shop yesterday, since the weather in the Northeast is starting to warm up, and noticed a decent amount of rust on the table saw. I think because this year was especially warmer and had more temperature swings, more rust developed. What is the best way to remove?
I use a little mineral spirits and some steel wool and rub. I'll freely admit that I'm not real uptight about mirror-like finishes on my cast iron top. Clean and smooth is the standard for me.

On some cast iron tables, if there's significant amount of rust, I'll put a 150 grit disc on the ROS and hit it with that first.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I keep several used 150 grit ROS disks for things like that.

Little WD-40, sand the rust away, clean with alcohol and wax.
Single edge razor blade - can be done dry or with some wd40.
If you have just seasonal surface rust, it goes quickly - probly moreso than you might guess.
I'm not a fan of any kind of sanding- overkill- my 2 cents.

te
WD40 + scotch brite under a ROS.
Clean with brake cleaner.
Apply Boeshield, wax or whatever you prefer.
I used to use a ROS with scotch brite pads and WD-40, but far superior is an angle grinder with a cup wheel and scotch brite (ala Jack Forsberg on SMC). No messing with a lubricant. I use maroon, green, then gray.
Do you just stab the scotch brite with the wire wheel so it spins?
Benny

Bar Keepers Friend. Find it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.
Be advised WD40 does not cut/dissolve rust. It will only work as a lubricant when using other methods.
After it's clean, put a lot of paste wax on the top and melt it in with a heat gun. Then buff it up.
Yes, the wire cup wheel acts as a hook and loop. Night and day difference using the angle grinder vs ROS.
I do all of the above. Steel wool, 600, 400 grit steel wool, WD-40, etc.