Latest work
Gorgeous work. The cuts are so true and the entire project is beautiful to look at. Well thought out and executed. Thanks for showing and keep them coming. A real joy to look at.
John T.
DFJarvie said:

Excellent work. Would you mind giving a brief overview of how you cut the banding?

If by the banding you mean you mean the feature rings in the bottom piece, Each individual design is it's own segment. As an example, the bottom design has 17 pieces in it. The pieces are glued together in the horizontal plain, Then they are sanded flat on one side Then the other side is sanded to final thickness. Then each of those is stacked and glued to form a block. Then each face is sanded flat. Finally they are cut to the proper angle and length. Then you glue them into a ring and treat it like a normal ring.
Shop Dad said:

Beautiful work! How do you deal with glue squeeze-out on the open segments?

Doug

A long time ago I read in a book or was told by a top open segmenter, I don't remember which, to use a small soft bristle brush. Dip in water and clean up the squeeze out. DON'T DO THIS thinned glue make a perfect end grain sealer and any finish you use WILL NOT go into the end grain. Depending on the finish you use the open segment work can be a real pain to work into the open spaces and end grain even without sealing from trying to get the squeeze out cleaned up.

I have found that it is better to avoid squeeze out altogether. I use a toothpick to apply a thin line of glue on each of the segment. If there is squeeze out I leave it. I think I'm going to start using some type of true oil finish on my open work. Either dunk it, or brush it on and in the open spaces, wipe it down, put it on the lathe and sling it out of the open spaces then wipe it down again.
Forgive me for being so bold to point this out, but that first one don't hold soup. Ergo, that's art.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
nice work Angus
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Stunning
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Strong work Angus
Beautiful...

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."