Porter Cable FN250B Problems
Hello All, I have this model http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-..._2238.html
and when I went to use it last night it wasn't always shooting a nail, it would make the sound like it was and put the slight indentation in the wood like it had but no nail. At first it was like every 3rd shot a nail would come out and then nothing just the noise like it was shooting but it did act different sound wise when it stop shooting nails. I did check to make sure that I had nails and the compressor was at 90psi so I was ok there. Has this happen to anyone and what is the fix. I did check to see if I had any nails stuck in the front latch door and it was clear.
Do I need a Overhaul Kit or Driver Maintenance Kit. Do you know of a cheaper source then what's in in the link? Fig# 1000 & 10001 towards the bottom of the page
Any help would be great appreciated.
Thanks,Todd
Are you using aftermarket nails?

I suspect the fix for you is to make sure the nails are seated one rail up from what you think is the correct rail.

I had a similar issue and this was the fix.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe,
No sir I'm using Porter Cable nails and I will check out your recommendation
when I get home today.
I use mine at 95 psi or a little higher. The plunger might not be returning high enough, low air pressure, needs oiling, bad nails, damaged driver(binding) or needs a rebuild.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
the way pc has said about the lube factor of the nailer has me baffled
i lube mine on a regular basis i have senco's i do use pc nails seems that they hold up better i keep them in a case when not in use but i do think lube and cleaning the the mag helps ido use a oiler on my nailer and spray the mags with a bit of wd i do have the small pc pin nailer
south vietnam war collage
the driver isn't pulling all the way back to allow the next nail to advance
Ok after having 95+ psi I can see that the driver doesn't consistently go all the way back up each time so I guess that I will need a new driver kit.If anyone has a suggestion as to what I found and another possible fix I am open to any and all suggestions.I did spray Boeshield up where the driver go back up and this seemed to help some and I always lube my nailer before and during use.
pc linl for parts i'm going to check my local guy he has always been a bit lower in cost for <a href="partshttp://servicenet.portercable.com/Products/Detail/FN250B" >partshttp://servicenet.portercable.com/Products/Detail/FN250B</a>
south vietnam war collage
May be in need of a rebuild?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
That problem is typical of a lack of lubrication, or a swollen o ring on the driver blade.

If the driver won't return all the way up, it won't let the nails advance. If it does go far enough, the nails will advance.

So if there is no jamb. The driver isn't moving up to the cap. ( Assuming the spring in the magazine is engaged )

Its either dry.. and therefore sticky, or its swollen due to the wrong type of lubricant, water, or just a crappy O-Ring.