common contractor practice??
On a full re-roof of $8,000.00 to $12,000.00 I would be very surprised. Most would require a significant deposit.

For repairs, as long as he had a contract I think it is a scheduling issue. He got to it when his schedule allowed him to.

To be sure he took care of the full re-roofs first, and the damaged-to-the-point-it-will-leak next. Everything else got triaged according to the consequences of leaving it for later.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Given that this was described as "a very small job", the contractor might have planned to do it the next time he had a crew in the area for other work.

It's still not an appropriate level of (lack of) communication tho.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Timeliness and poor communication are by far the most common complaint about contractors, judging by the yelp and angie's list reviews. (wish the reviews had better evaluations of workmanship)

Matt
All you need is a completion date listed in the contract. Amen.
Bill
mdhills said:

Timeliness and poor communication are by far the most common complaint about contractors, judging by the yelp and angie's list reviews. (wish the reviews had better evaluations of workmanship)

Matt

From my experience most homeowners lack the knowledge to evaluate workmanship.

I've seen the most shoddy work and the homeowner was thrilled with the result.
Bill Bob said:

Bill

Indeed.

What's worse is now I've received a bill (via. email) that has a higher price than the one we agreed on! I emailed back asking for an explanation, with an attached copy of the signed agreement.. no reply.. no reply.. maybe I should just not pay...
(nah, I'm not like that)
mound said:

[blockquote]Bill Bob said:

Bill

Indeed.

What's worse is now I've received a bill (via. email) that has a higher price than the one we agreed on! I emailed back asking for an explanation, with an attached copy of the signed agreement.. no reply.. no reply.. maybe I should just not pay...
(nah, I'm not like that)

[/blockquote]

As lackadaisical as he has been about getting to the job he just probably lost his paperwork and made up new numbers.
mound said:

[blockquote]Bill Bob said:

Bill

Indeed.

(nah, I'm not like that)

[/blockquote]

Cut a check for the contract price and include a copy of the contract, you wont' hear back.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've been an electrical contractor for 30 years, and most of my repeat business came from excellent communication skills.
Being honest, upfront and your promise to communicate is the key.  Most people want answers, and are very uncomfortable when they do not get the right ones.
Emergencies happen in every business.  Calling the customer and letting them know that things will change has always been a practice of mine. I have found that customers will understand, especially when you demonstrate that you will do the same for them in an emergency.
(03-04-2016, 03:20 PM)Admiral Wrote:

Cut a check for the contract price and include a copy of the contract, you wont' hear back.

+1